GL: February Discussion

• Members

On a completely shallow note, I realized today how good Grant looks. Maybe the cold weather in Peapack was rough when he shot that first week's worth of shows or something, but in the jail he looks hot. The intern who photoshopped those ads made him look like he'd had a bad facelift or something.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GA does look good. The cheekbones, I guess.

Dan, I think that sense of community always made ATWT and GL stand out. I don't watch ATWT very often now but even with the budget cuts and highly reduced cast I feel like GL is moving back to intersecting storylines. Even clumsy mentions, like Reva saying Coop's death upset Shayne because he was reminded of Lara, are a way of tying the town together. As worn out as I am by another Cooper/Spaulding feud, I appreciate them playing the beats of the sadness of Coop's death and how the Coopers are trying to adjust. It's a big contrast to soap deaths found on too much of some other soaps lately.

I know Otalia are an acquired taste but I liked this article written about their relationship.

http://www.welovesoaps.net/2009/02/guest-c...-on-otalia.html

• Members

Agreed. The Spauldings feud with the Lewises was always so much juicier...

BTW, I desperately need to know this. How does CBS.com play on a dialup connection? Pretty lousy I'm guessing, but I'm kinda desperate. I totally missed today's episode.

• Members

I would love Spaulding v. Lewis again... especially if we could get Vanessa/Alex back frontburner!!

I haven't seen today's show yet, but I saw Monday's preview on youtube... looks like another amazing week ahead!! This show is running on all cylinders these days!! :D

• Members

I just watched Monday - Thursday, and I was blown away! The fallout from Coop's death was heartbreaking and the way all of the Coopers dealt with it, as well as Mel, Reva, Josh, Jeffrey all gathering around Buzz was really nice, it did, as many people have said here, give that sense of community that GL has been lacking lately; the mentions of Harley, Lucy and Rocky were also nice as so often soaps ignore the fact that other family members arent there for funerals/weddings/etc.

The fact that Beth stood up to Alan was great, you really got the feeling she had nothing else to lose and was beyond caring about what Alan did to her. Also, everything going on with Lizzie and Cyrus is really intriguing me, and I wonder how this will all play out with Bill teaming up with Philip and where all of that leads.

GL is truly on a roll, I hope they can sustain this momentum throughout the next few months and through to the summer! If they do, a renewal should be a surefire bet!

• Administrator

I just finished watching the Feb 17 episode and JD was so amazing. I think the 2010 Supporting Actor Emmy (if there'll be one) is his. But I was very disappointed about the song playing at the end. WTF was that???? That was one of the worst producing decisions I've ever scene. Ellen Wheeler, WTF!!?? It totally ruined the ending. A simple fade to black would've been perfect.

Anyway, can't wait to see the next episode (the youtube channel I'm watching it on takes forever to upload eps....the 18th isn't even up yet. :(). So if anyone knows a youtube channel that uploads eps very quickly, please PM me (don't post on the board). ;)

• Members

Downtown was Buzz & Jenna's song and Buzz even called Jenna "Petula" as a nickname. I guess they were trying to use it as a way of hammering home that Buzz's last piece of Jenna was now gone from this world and all of it was a memory. I didn't love it. I didn't hate. I think I know what they were going for and I applaud the effort to try something different since a simply fade to black is kind of standard for death scenes but I don't think it worked for a lot of people the way they intended.

• Members

I am a new GL viewer since the end of last year. This is the best soap on tv. I'm so glad I was told to tune in. The stories are so real and they actually give the relationships time. I tuned in for one couple but find myself starting to watch more and more of the entire show. I couldn't turn it off this week with the Coop story. Buzz was fantastic and I learned so much about the backstory. I wish more people would start watching it. I'm hooked. :D

• Members

Friday's episode was great...I just wish Daisy, Grady and Ashlee would all go away; they are the most pointless characters and I'd quite like them all to go. Maybe keep Daisy around and bring back either Dylan or Harley for her to have a parent.

The ending of Friday with Philip walking into the funeral place in the middle of all hell breaking loose was great; I think Alan is a total dick for going to Coop's funeral in the first place... I also liked that there was more than the usual half of the cast on; Reva and Jeffrey's storyline was bubbling under and the only people who I would have liked to have seen in that episode were Shayne, Dinah, Olivia and Natalia...and if Coop and Remy were friends shouldn't Remy have been at his funeral? Or Mel, who was with Buzz the day before?

Still, I like where GL is going and next week looks really good as well...my only peeve is that they seem to be focusing everything on Coop's death/Philip's return and not really setting up the next batch of storylines to keep going forward with.

• Members

Grant, Grant, Grant. I know this is the 50th time I've said this, but I'm SO glad you are back. I'm so glad that they brought him back sane instead of as unhinged as the last time he was in SF. The fact that Phillip was actually the sole voice of sanity in that room was quite brilliantly ironic.

I'm curious. Did anyone actually give a damn when Ashlee confessed her feelings for Grady to Daisy? Really? I thought so. The weakest point of an otherwise great show.

HOWEVER, I do agree that they need to start rebuilding the OTHER stories. They can't coast on this "all-Phillip-all-the-time" show forever no matter HOW much better it is by comparison.

Olivia and Natalia shared some really great scenes today. I'm starting to root for these two and I CAN'T WAIT for tomorrow's episode to see Olivia and Phillip together again.

As for Edmund (I know he wasn't in this episode, I just want to comment), I really wish they would have brought him back in another way if they were so dead set into doing it. This whole "Lara is my daughter" doesn't ring true to me. The story should have been solely about Shayne's grief and trying to get on with his life. That part of the story does ring true and should be spotlighted.

• Members

Edmund's still a worthwhile character with the right story. Worthless characters for me are people like Grady, or Jeffrey, or (with this actress) Marina. This story isn't very interesting, neither is what I think will happen, which is Edmund somehow causing Reva to lose her baby, but I think Edmund can work with the proper storyline. I'd like to see him with Blake, since Beth is already involved with Phillip (or will be at some point).

I had to laugh when I saw how the cop fell over and Phillip grabbed the gun. No wonder Springfield seems to have so many criminals walking the streets.

Great to see Blake again, very glad she mentioned Ross, as that particular plot point still bothers me when I let myself think about it.

Archived