GL: February Discussion

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just want to comment on something very quickly. I know this is going to make me look like a huge hypocrit. I've been complaining about the music (or lack thereof) for the last week and a half. But the ONE time a silent fade-to-black would have worked very well and THEY BLEW IT!

At the end of the show, I was completely into the scene. When Buzz started singing "Downtown" to Coop, I completely lost it. I'm expecting a great fade out and that THAT SONG STARTS [!@#$%^&*] PLAYING! First of all, the music was completely antithetical to the mood they were trying to create. Second of all, the jarring way it was introduced IMMEDIATELY took me out of the scene. It was horrible. You blew it.

• Members

Can I just say how weird yesterday's show was for me?

In a good way of course.

It was like I was watching the same Guiding Light I fell in love with during those scenes between Coop and Buzz. How insne is that? I honestly didn't think it was possible, but after tose incredible scenes surronding Coop at the hospital yesterday, I am truly in awe. I can't say enough about how good those scenes were. They made me cry and smile at the same time. Cry because the script was wonderful and heartfelt. Smile ebcause for first time in years I feel as if Ihave my show back.

I have to add that yesterday was the first time I felt this Olivia/Natalia story wasn't a stunt but more of a in depth emotional journey for Olivia. Those scenes between Liv and Bill were deep and classic soap opera. I'm brought GL, now you've just have to do the same with Natalia's character.

I second that.

This whole kidnapping thing has gone on for way too long and has taken one contrived turn after another. It's the equivalent of ATWT's ongoing saga of Paul/Meg/Dusty. Reunite them already and give them a story that won't tear them apart.

I'm going to add this though. I've come to realize that David Kreizman was and is incapable of writing stories for couples. He wrote stories for couples, Gus & Harley, Josh & Reva, Bill & Lizzie, however those stories that he wrote for them always resulted in them breaking up. Look at those who even weren't on front burner, but were thrust to it because a certain character's marriage was in trouble; Rick and Mel, Matt and Vanessa. I think for DK giving a couple a story meant for him giving them a obstacle that would split them apart and invite a third party. JMO.

• Members

Okay after today's show I'm speechless.

Today's episode excelled beyond just being a soap oepra. Wonderfully produced, scripted, and acted. I don't know what I can say but kudos.

If Deas was to submit a tape of today's show, he'd have another Emmy win in his pocket. I don't give a flying f--- who's nominated.

• Members

This show just continues to amaze me with each passing day. It's like you think, "no way are they going to be able to top today".. and then the next day comes... and you just sit in awe and on the edge of your seat. Agreed on JD. They should just hand him the Emmy and not waste time on nominations.

• Members

I have to say that today's show really really got to me...Justin Deas totally ripped my heart out .( Maybe it doesn't help that it's the 14th anniversary of my Dad's passing either.) I was such a teary mess....in a good way. Sad but good.

Yeah, I have to totally agree about that song. I HATE that stupid song but when Buzz sang it to Coop it was perfect...and then they actually played the original. Way too jarring and if they were going for the contrast of this happy song playing over the grief of the family...it just didn't work.

But OMG...the whole episode today just was totally intense. Perfect. Incredible.

• Members

I would have preferred silence, but the scenes were unbearably painful to watch. I was almost glad to have a break at the end.

I can't remember GL being this consistently good, day after day, in a long, long time. I know it won't last and I'm ready for the disappointment to return (even when I loved GL there were still some days I didn't care for), but I'm surprised it's lasted for even this extended period of time.

I don't think Alan is to blame for Coop's death, so I hope GL won't become consumed by another vendetta storyline. Alan has had some horrible moments, perhaps we're supposed to want him to pay for those, not for Coop's death, but even Buzz has said Alan did not technically share any blame in Coop's death. The scenes between Philip and Buzz were great, but I don't want this to end in a vendetta.

I was impressed at how well they recreated the Jenna/Buzz sequences. Some of those were literal recreations. I'm glad they didn't just go for the flashbacks. After all these years FH and JD still have the chemistry. I'm sorry she wasn't with him in the room when he pulled the plug on Coop.

Did Buzz smoke when he came back to town? I don't remember. I assume he did in Vietnam.

• Members

I'd like to thank Guiding Light for really touching me today. My partner and I just sat there in tears at the end (and during the episode for that matter). I never never thought a soap could move me again. However, this show has moved me very much. The acting, production, and writing were and are some of the best soap I've ever seen. I've always greatly admired Harding Lemay's Another World. I was very young when Mac, Rachel, and Iris were going at it. That was the golden age of daytime for me...followed by the brilliance that was Santa Barbara during the Jerome & Bridget Dobson era. For the past month, Guiding Light has been every bit as good as these memories. Once again, if anyone is thinking about a new soap to watch, or if you stopped watching Guiding Light, please turn it back on....we as long time suffering soap fans deserve this fine show....I never thought a show could touch me...and the fact that they are doing it with the smallest budget in daytime history just makes it mean all the more. Thanks Jill Lorie Hurst and Ellen Wheeler....

• Members

Ya know, I had mixed feelings about that. On one hand, they did do a good job with the newly created flashbacks and I kind of understand why they did it: more than likely, to keep the video quality consistent with the new style. However, I would argue that is really wasn't needed and I would have loved to have seen the real things had there been an original scene (like the first one when Buzz found out about Coop). I would argue that if we can get over seeing black-and-white flashbacks in a montage, we can deal with varying quality. After all, older scenes generally have a different visual quality regardless. The one I didn't like the most was the last one because it had some things that were not consistent, mostly John Driscoll's appearance (eagle eyed GL-ers will remember that Driscoll first appeared with a five-o-clock shadow. Not to mention that I do believe that Coop was actually rather angry with Buzz (for all of a week I believe, I guess Davey K believed there was only room for one rebellious jackass) for sending him and Rocky away.

Now this is something that I do not fault the current writers for, but Claire Labine for having Buzz send the kids away to live with Jenna's "family." That made zero sense when you take into consideration that a big part of Jenna's story was that she had NO family. That is why she was so happy when she believed Henry's lie about them being father and daughter.

• Members

At first I thought they might have been unable to afford to play the old clips, but I don't know if that costs money. I was torn on the new flashbacks. I think the original was the best, but the new scene with Jenna and Buzz also had a strong intimacy which fit the episode.

I was trying to figure out how the casual viewer, or the lapsed viewer, would feel about Tuesday's episode, if they would think it was all too heavy. The show has a much more emotional pace now than most soaps, much more than GL has had over the past decade. I was watching the show with someone and they were in tears throughout the episode. There was so much which wasn't just about death, but also about regret, missed opportunities, which resonates with many people. I don't know if that type of intimacy would bring viewers in, or drive them away, because they're more used to the slickness of most of today's soaps. Or they may just roll their eyes and turn the channel. I hope they stick around because I think the last few weeks have been fantastic. I just don't have any faith in ratings these days.

Daytime Confidential praises JD's performance.

http://daytimeconfidential.com/2009/02/in-...-of-justin-deas

Archived