2009: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

Yes, you are absolutely right. They do have their own distinctive way. I honestly don't know who would be able to pull off writing in B&B's signature style and writing quality stories... From people from the Bell universe I've seen some suggest Michael Minnis (somehow I'm not convinced) & Meg Bennett (hated by sheilaforever, way too campy I think was the reason).

It'd be ideal if someone completely new was brought in and who would be under Brad's supervision. And by supervision I don't mean vetoing every possible storyline, rather making sure those storylines have that signature.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

If they weren't at DAYS already, I think Tomlin/Whitesell would be perfect for B&B. They can do camp, outrageous, and soapy storylines.

Nah, I don't think it was the budget.

• Members
They can do campy outrageous plots and I love them, but they need a co-HW to really make those characters motivations seem real and human. When Meg Bennett left Sunset Beach, the little creative momentum that show had fell apart faster than the Challenger.

I was huge fan of Beach and OLTL with Tomlin at the helm, but their Days is boring and cheap as hell. Where's the fantasy, the action, the funny dialogue?

• Members

Unfortunately I think we're stuck with him for another year, wouldn't ABC have to buy him out of his contract if they fired him?

I had read somewhere that he was working on some stuff on the side. Maybe he'll go write for the new Melrose Place B)

• Members

What bugged me most about Monday's air show was Jess Walton's Jill, especially the scenes in the hospital. Why she wasn't staring at Phillip the entire time during those scenes is beyond me, looking intensely at him, trying to determine if he was her son or not. It's pretty obvious the guy is. The actor is the same, he hasn't changed much, just aged some. But JW seemed to just sleepwalk through the whole set of scenes. She should have been an emotional wreck, or so shocked she's be shaking--something, but I just got nothing from her. As someone posted earlier, TC is saving this whole story. I felt her pain and anger. I saw her honest emotion. Even Jeanne Cooper was off the mark on this one. (Okay, I'll excuse it; she'd has yet another stroke [enough with that plot device, people!!!!!]) But this story is so far-fetched, it just doesn't work for Y&R. GH, yeah. The script was okay. Certainly not JEF's best, but it covered all the bases that needed covering. But what should have been riveting drama didn't materialize, I think as much to the directing and acting as anything.

Archived