Marlena De Lacroix's "Only the Bests" List 2008

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have to agree that the reaction to Todd/Marty and Ron's crappy storylines was far more interesting than the actual storylines. There is a way to divide the audience and prompt debate, I think he failed at that because anyone who supported what Todd did to Marty immediately made me revile them and not even want to talk about it.

But I'm sorry, I watched Night Shift, it was nothing special. Better than GH, sure, but I've had bowel movements better than GH.

And you're welcome.

• Members

I have to agree, that Ron has been my favorite character all year long. I can't help but see his fingerprints on everything he touches- which kills the viewing enjoyment for me. I no longer see OLTL's characters as themselves, and have turned to identifying the characters as Ron's penmanship. I like him, I hate him, I feel sorry for him, and I sometimes want to see him cry.

I think Kristen Alderson has been such a trooper this year- her first time, run away, pregnancy, getting away from being Todd's little girl- and she gets better with time. She puts alot of the adults to shame.

• Members

Tamara Braun fizzled as Ava. That story was painful, in no small part to her. The plane crash was the best story of the year. Rather than cite the tired and one-note Braun, I would have mentioned how John Aniston has renewed Victor Kiriakis into a player on the DOOL stage and how the whole Kiriakis clan is a welcome sight.

Ron C got a bum rap. Maybe he wrote Tina a little too ditzy, but he managed to work in a little OLTL history with Mendorra, Carlo, Cain and Tina, and for his troubles he got dismissed as being a purveyor of "camp", as if that is akin to smut. And then threw in some time travel to go with it. This year he gave the show everything including the kitchen sink, but people only want one narrow type of story in their soap. I'd much rather watch Mendorra and time traveling than Marcie and her baby woes, how did my taste become by definition wrong? It seems all of soapdom just assumes it is because there was some unspoken convention where anything not suitable for the most tedious and trite of Lifetime films gets dismissed as "camp".

• Members

If she does say so herself.

I'm not sure Thinking Fans see much difference between Branco's "unprofessional" drooling over Carlivati and the Professor's constant drooling over Agnes Nixon. Seems one and the same to me.

The best I can say for this column is, at least, she didn't include any offensive cartoons of burned war veterans this time.

• Members

I see a huge difference. But regardless, I hate these columnists taking swipes at each other. It's like children who've been forced to play inside on a snow day. After listening to them bicker, you want to shove them all out in the snow.

So you found that offensive? I still haven't decided how I feel about that. I go back and forth.

• Members

I love Marlena.

But I hate this stupid thread.

I though Todd and Marty was compelling soap opera at its best. With performances that exceeded the writing. If it disgusted you so much that you can't even debate it, or all you see when you watch OLTL is Ron??? Then go watch Days Of Our Lives. If you want shmaltzy, boring, retreaded, cliche, soap opera pablum. That's what Dena writes. You will see no one's handprint because there is no vision, there is nothing to debate. Its soap opera tedium.

I am not a Carlivati worshipper, but he DOES write compelling television.

I hope he stays with OLTL until the end. I sure as hell would rather watch something that is passionately written, acted, and produced than watch the horrendous B&B.

You people can keep your unpassionate hacks like Higley.

I like the fact that OLTL provokes debate, and even slobbering over the headwriter.

I am so over apologizing or defending that storyline. I thought it was brilliant. And a real return to drama after the campy summer (Yes, the summer for OLTL SUCKED, seems to have been written by a different writer)

And Ron can put his brilliant handprints all over me anytime.

The show has been KILLER since November. I don't see the writer, I see OLTL at its best in nearly 15 years.

• Members

Speaking for myself only, it's the tone of Branco's fawning. It's not gushing, it's cruising or that's how it comes across. And he does it to a lot of people not just Carlivati. I can handle the fact that he has favorites, they all do, but Branco's the only one where I RME and think "Do you need a moment to 'take care' of this?"

Archived