Marlena De Lacroix's "Only the Bests" List 2008

• Members

Jess, I actually wanted to tell you off as I could care less about being kicked off a soap board.

But then I saw Obama and realized you have some intelligence so I stopped myself.

What shows do you watch and enjoy? If you says Days Of Our Lives or Bold and Beautiful I will not listen to another word you say. Just kidding. Well, kind of.

What era of OLTL did you enjoy? What headwriters? Are you even a fan? Are you someone who loathes the show due to the Marty/Todd issue and will now go out their way to forever trash the show without even watching its current storylines (There is ALOT of that I have noticed)

I could not disagree more with nearly everything you said.

I will say that Ron HAS been overhyped at times- and frankly I feel that way about Y&R and Maria Arena Bell as well...

++Soaps are nothing but recycled stories in one form or another. It is a fact.++ Christ, what do you think Marge/Kay is on Y&R?

And yes, I hated... let's say- Justice Bolding going over the falls- because #1)She is a lousy actress #2) Mendorra SUCKED #3) It looked cheap. #4)It was a LOUSY retread of a dynamite 80's storyline. But I knew it was done as a nod to the past for the 40th Anniversary...

But really, I am just curious what shows you like, favorite storylines, ect..

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe some people have just gotten accustomed to the narrow storytelling of J Piss, Dena Hackley, and Bob Guza.

Nelson does seem to fawn over those he interviews aka his favorite at the moment. I mean did you read the Maria Arena Bell interview? Nelson will fawn over her until she doesn't invite him to a cast party or something.

As for the Ron debate it's like beating a dead horse. Some people just aren't going to like the guy no matter how well he writes the show.

• Members

As for the Ron debate it's like beating a dead horse. Some people just aren't going to like the guy no matter how well he writes the show.

So right.

Let Y&R be the "Oh my god everything is just so perfect and wonderful" soap.

I enjoy OLTL being a show that provokes debate! (As long as people watch it and can say why they hate it!)

• Members

Okay, you're obviously still bitter because Nash caused his own death! But do you really have to make ridiculous exaggerations? Unless you're referring to the summer of a zillion returns, what you're saying here is full of [!@#$%^&*] and totally baseless.

Current OLTL Cast, as of 12/31/08, with year of debut in parentheses. All who debuted AFTER Carlivati's start date (9/11/08) are in bold.

contract.

Eddie Alderson as Matthew Buchanan (2001)

Kristen Alderson as Starr Manning (1998)

Melissa Archer as Natalie Buchanan (2001)

Camila Banus as Lola Montez (2008)

BethAnn Bonner as Talia Sahid (2006)

Kathy Brier as Marcie McBain (2002)

John Brotherton as Jared Banks (2007)

Brandon Buddy as Cole Thornhart (2006)

Kassie DePaiva as Blair Cramer (1993)

Michael Easton as John McBain (2003)

Farah Fath as Gigi Morasco (2007)

David Fumero as Cristian Vega (1998)

Susan Haskell as Dr. Marty Saybrooke (1992)

Jacqueline Hendy as Vanessa Vega (2008)

Brian Kerwin as Charlie Banks (2007)

John-Paul Lavoisier as Rex Balsom (2002)

Florencia Lozano as Téa Delgado (1997)

Mark Lawson as Brody Lovett (2008)

Erika Slezak as Victoria Lord Davidson (1971)

Hillary B. Smith as Nora Hanen (1992)

Trevor St. John as Todd Manning (2003)

Chris Stack as Dr. Michael McBain (2007)

Robin Strasser as Dorian Lord (1979)

Tika Sumpter as Layla Williamson (2005)

Jason Tam as Markko Rivera (2007)

Brittany Underwood as Langston Wilde (2006)

Jerry verDorn as Clint Buchanan (2005)

Austin Williams as Shane Morasco (2007)

Bree Williamson as Jessica Brennan (2003)

Robert S. Woods as Bo Buchanan (1979)

recurring (adults only)

Peter Bartlett as Nigel Bartholomew-Smythe (1991)

Patricia Elliott as Renée Divine Buchanan (1987)

Catherine Hickland as Lindsay Rappaport (1998)

Ilene Kristen as Roxy Balsom (2001)

January LaVoy as Noelle Ortiz (2007)

Patricia Mauceri as Carlotta Vega (1995)

Pamela Payton-Wright as Addie Cramer (1991)

John Rue as Moe Stubbs (2007)

Tuc Watkins as David Vickers (1994)

Nine out of thirty-nine people on this list debuted after Carlivati, and one of them was a recast which was absolutely necessary. Nine out of thirty-nine! That's less than a fricken' quarter, but it's "an entire new cast?" Not to mention that they all spend the vast majority of their screen time with cast/characters who pre-dated Carlivati's HW tenure. So seriously...WTF are you talking about? Don't give RC/OLTL such a ridiculous superlative. Have you been to Oakdale lately? Three recasts just debuted within the last month! Nearly half the contract cast is made up of recasts!

Nash caused his own death!

• Members

I'm sorry, really, I am. I can get a little defensive, even when I'm defending someone like Carlivati, who I'm not at all as big on as I used to be. If you're going to rationalize your dislike for his writing or whatever, at least make it based on something that's true. All one has to do is look at a simple wikipedia or SoapCentral or ABC.com or SOAPnet.com or whatever cast list to see that this "entire new cast" garbage is just that - garbage.

• Members

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. Your post was RIGHT on.

That is why I wanted to see where Jess was coming from.

Generally rant posts against OLTL (which just bitch/bitch/bitch) are from lapsed viewers who were completely turned off by Todd and Marty (rightly so/wrongly so) they find it unforgiveable and will just continously hate on the show until it is cancelled.

Others are fangirls/boys who were obsessed with a character or couple who feel betrayed by their being written off.

I am curious to see what Jess says- if she/he responds at all.

I am so sick of immature , nonsensical rants with no reasonings as to why they feel the way they do.

Now I'm ranting.

• Members

In Jess's defense, she was unhappy with the show before Ron took over. She was a big fan of the show and she started disliking it toward the end of Malone's second term, I think. She is in no way one of those fangirls or someone who is only ranting against the Todd/Marty storyline. May she be a little bitter about Nash being killed, hmmmm? :)

• Members

You shouldn't have to "defend" Jess or anybody else for clearly stating her opinion but unfortunately she didn't genuflect enough. Perhaps she'll come back and beg forgiveness for her perfidy. "Come back, Heretic! Show yourself to the mob!"

You could lay out a full plan for killing Guza on this board complete with pictures of the murder weapons and people would say "Have fun!" but dare to be unimpressed by the Soap God and you suck. All this talk of fanboys and fangirls is funny since that's exactly the type of behavior being exhibited toward Ron. This whole thread blew up because Marlena dared to not gush sufficiently. The press is full of praise for the man, the ratings are stable and it's still not enough for some people.

And if people want to hate Ron based on the Tarty story or his decision to kill Nash or the Medorra stuff then that's perfectly reasonable. He wrote it. It's his product. Writers are judged by what they write. Malone is judged for the Summer of Santi. Guza is judged for the mob.

You write it, you own it. What is he supposed to be judged on? His generous spirit?

• Members

I can't speak for anyone else, only myself. But I'm definitely no fanboy who shuns anyone who doesn't enjoy Carlivati's writing. Hello...I kinda...you know...stopped watching for about four months, and in another active thread, I've explained why I couldn't bare to watch the show during that time. There's still things that annoy me about it. So please, I hope no one confuses me for someone who believes that RC is greatness personified and that anyone who disagrees is just a panty-bunched nutjob. My gripe was with this "entire new cast" notion that makes no sense at all. Someone explain to me how it makes sense. OLTL is one of the most stable soaps on the air when it comes to casting. When was the last time someone left who wasn't meant to be on only temporarily?

• Members

I actually think Jess was factoring in the temp casting which you have to admit has been heavy: Allison, David back and forth, Asa, Tina, Carlo, Alex, Asa's wife what's her name... He likes the stunt returns. But I also think that's becoming more common on ABC in general since AMC seems to be following suit.

I've already said Ron might as well stick around. He's done his damage or worked his miracles depending on your point of view. I just don't get the mob mentality around him. I'm also seeing shades of it starting with Pratt and AMC so maybe it's just where the genre is. I think Jess' point of audience attrition with OLTL is spot on. The people watching now are the people who want it and like it. They've got a stable customer base. It's the best they can hope for right now.

Ron's not my kind of storyteller, but honestly my kind of storyteller isn't writing for ANY soap.

• Members

A standard OLTL/AMC/Y&R SON thread goes like this:

SAMPLE Y&R THREAD:

Oh my god is this show not amazing?

OH YES JUST PERFECT, just wonderful.

Oh my goodness I cannot find a thing wrong with this soap opera PERFECTION!

It sumptiously perfect isn't it?

Oh yes, just splendid.

Can I say something slighty negative about Y&R right now?

NO! Its just perfect, flawless, its like Soap Opera nirvana.... I love YOU and I LOVE IT!

Y&R is impeccable. Just perfect.

Maria Arena Bell is to soaps what Mother Theresa is to SAINTS!

SAMPLE AMC THREAD:

Oh my goodness, this show is improving by leaps and BOUNDS!

Improving every day!

Oh yes, I see some serious potential here!

The jury was out, but I think 2009 may be a REAL return to FORM for AMC!

The show really seems to be improving!

CAN YOU SAY IMPROVEMENT?

I SURE CAN, and I just did! IMPROVEMENT!! YAY!

AND FINALLY, OLTL:

I just LOVE IT!

F-YOU!

I HATE YOU! AND I HATE CARLIVATI!!

Marty and Todd was soap opera gothic brilliance!

ITS MISOGYNISTIC CRAP! FRONS AND CARLIVATI AND VALENTINI NEED TO BE HUNG BY THEIR B_LLS AND COATED IN HONEY AND HAVE BEARS ATTACK THEM LIKE ON B&B.

OLTL has not been this good in 15 years!

ARE YOU INSANE?

I HATE YOU

I LOVE YOU

GOD EVANGELINE IS SOOOOOO NEEDED RIGHT NOW!!

LOVE IT!

HATE IT!

BRILLIANT!

I AM GOING TO BE SICK! CARLIVATI IS SO OVERRATED!

ONE LIFE TO LIVE SHOULD BE BOMBED!

One Life To Live has NEVER been this good!

The writing is so filled with humanity and humor.

OLTL has the WORST scriptwriters in the history of daytime!

Archived