Y&R: Can you be racist and have diversity at the same time

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My problem with YR is that their black characters are so isolated. Watching Neil and his brood smacks of "the black storyline". I thought Olivia and Ashley were friends? How come she's back and she hasn't interacted with anyone else. Where are the individual relationships from the Winters clan and why aren't they featured more?

As for Lily the actress bugs. I don't know if I have more of a problem that all of her boyfriends are white, or if YR thinks it's "safe" to have her in IR relationships because she's light skinned. Would they even put her in a tri with Cane and Billy if Davetta were still in the role?

Yeah, I have major problems with YR...

• Members

They did give Ash and Liv a one-minute scene where Liv was shocked to hear about Ash being with Victor. But that's all. Not enough.

They don't use Neil, Olivia, Tyra, Ana, Devon or Karen in any other storyline than their own.

• Members

Did anybody seen the moving ATL? I always picture Lily like that female character when she lived in France. Living a double life. Christel Lily can't pull off what I picture. So if they keep her there they going to have to show her dating somebody that isn't white. & the guy will have to come off like Dru to her needy & boring Lily. People who actaully have to see her go all out for this guy likeshe did for Kevin, Daniel, Cane, & Billy.

If they recast Lily with the way I picture they can always tap back into her France history & said she dated a black or any other minorities that lives in France from the hood.

But besides that I'm just tired of her dating. Don't ya'll want more from Lily then figuring out who her next love interest going to be. I just want her legs close for a whole year at least.

• Members

Sigh... I love your avatar. I really miss Davetta. I don't think I would miss Dru so much if she were playing Lily and I miss her and Daniel. Every time I see CK it's a constant reminder that she's NOT Dru's daughter. But honestly, Lily would have had a much different storyline than two white guys fighting over her with DS in the role.

• Members

One thing is certain... couples on soaps aren't really intended to last, because they need drama, and drama includes breakups.

However, soaps are damned if they do and damned if they don't with this one.

A strong black portion of the canvas falls into the dangerous zone of being called segregated. "Why don't they interact with the white characters?!"

Several interracial couples garners the reaction of "there are so few black people that they have to be paired with whites to get a decent storyline." And a lot of soaps are stuck not knowing whether to use the racial difference as part of the storyline, or ignore it like it's a non-issue.

The sad thing is, on any given soap canvas there aren't enough black characters at any given time to tell enough of a balance of stories to keep it realistic. I think right now, AMC comes closest. There are Angie/Jesse, Frankie/Randi, and Jesse has a past with Rebecca and a bi-racial daughter with her, Natalia. Natalia has no love interest right now, but any prospect at this point would be a white character.

I myself am bi-racial (my father's black, my mother's white/Irish), and you wouldn't know it to look at me. But I always think about this topic because what IS the right way to go with the storyline? In my family, both my father and his sister married white people and have bi-racial kids who all have my skin tone. But pretty much everyone else on the black side of my family have married black people. I think it's a fair statement that a lot of black people raised in black communities tend to gravitate toward black lovers, and I don't think soaps represent that very well.

GH made its biggest mistake killing off Justus Ward (though they had the wrong actor playing Justus anyway...) because he was an african-american branch of a core family (the Quartermaines). OLTL desperately needs more black characters, and the first thing I would do is reintroduce Rachel Gannon (I'd LOVE Kent King in the role!) and either Hank or RJ, if not both. I think Nathan Purdee burned his bridges with OLTL, but if OLTL could steal James Reynolds from DAYS, he'd be a GREAT Hank Gannon. And Timothy D. Stickney was always amazing as RJ, I'd love him back any day.

Should we even talk about how criminally bad B&B is with diversity?!

• Members

On the subject of Lily - and I pray this doesn't ignite Actress Wars Part 4763 - I know some preferred Davetta because she was "blacker" than Christel, but isn't that slightly racist in itself? Christel acts circles around Davetta - who cares if she's not really African-American? And who cares if she doesn't insert words like "wack" into her sentences wherever possible? She's a great actress - that should be all that matters.

I also don't think it's essential for Lily to be a "mini-Dru". Why can't Lily just be Lily?

• Members

Honestly, I think people just find Christel Khalil annoying.

When you compound already annoying with "black" valley girl who's Dru and Neil's kid, well, you've got all sorts of annoying right there.

I will agree with you that Davetta could be a little "flat", CK is quite the contrary, if anything she is OTT more often than not. Davetta was a "breather", a cooler, laid back girl who didn't grate on anyone's nerves. It's almost like you could forgive her sedate acting style b/c you were so thrilled not to be rolling your eyes and sucking your teeth through every Lily scene.

I also agree with you that Lily is (and should be) Lily, not mini-Dru. My mother talked way "blacker" than Dru, a character that VR affects, even VR doesn't talk like that IRL (and to me, that always showed... she was never totally convincing to me as an around the way girl to begin with)... my point, I talk nothing like my mother, I sound more like I was raised by Victoria Lord, and my mom and I were as thick as thieves. So Lily could have turned out any sort of way. It does not help CK's case that many fans think of her as not a "real" black girl, but see the middle eastern/mixed ethnicity all over her face and think she's playing a role that should have gone to a black girl/biracial girl the shade of biracial actors VR and KSJ..

• Members

I wouldn't say that, but something about her portrayal made room for the writers to meet her half way. She appeared ready for more honest material. CK needs the material to squew to her short comings- hence the "Lily you're the love of my life" speeches we get week in and week out. Otherwise, I'm not sure how they would explain her ability to trump more charming characters, because Lily may be "sweet" and "good" but she's no charmer. Wholesome, but not charming.

It bothers me when people try to go there- to the "she's blacker" angle. I mostly think people are trying to figure out what's not working for them and they see it as visual and audio issue. "She looks black and she ain't acting it." when in fact the actress isn't acting at all. Just playing herself day in and day out in extraordinary circumstances. Nothing method is happening here, and nothing that speaks to a well rounded soap actress. And since the soap audience is thirsty for more diversity, she's easy to throw on the chopping block, because we all know she would've never lasted this long 15+ years ago. Then again, many wouldn't.

• Members

I agree that Lily shouldnt be a min-Dru. I know people and Rowell herself complained that Lily shouldnt be a "valley girl" -- but, why not exactly? She was not raised in a project, she was not raised in poverty. She lived in Paris, is a girl who's had a silver spoon in her mouth since she was born, and has had everything she's ever wanted in life handed to her. Nothing about Lily's life has ever been "street".

• Members

& your telling me French people talk like they from California. Lily suppose to have some traits from her parents & it don't have to be the way they talked. But she should be able to get talk to her mother the way Dru talk to her. If she say a slang it shouldn't be foreign to Lily.

Archived