Y&R: Can you be racist and have diversity at the same time

• Members

Passions was a very diverse soap, IMO. The Russel's family was one of the core family on that show. Whitney and Fox were an interracial couple. We had Julian and Eve - They were a couple since way back in the days... then they were reunited again after 20-something years and the show ended with them too. Budget problems runied a lot of characters on Passions. When the show moved to DirecTV, they wrote out TC and Simone. Brooke Kerr(Whitney) chose to leave the show. She was written out. Charles Divins chose to leave the show too. He was killed off.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Um, because it's a soap opera?! What couple, same race or interracial lasts more than a couple of years?! GL had Rick/Mel who even had a daughter together and then Remy/Ava who sadly had a child that passed away. I don't like the actress who plays Lily so I don't care who they pair her with because I won't watch anyway. Neil/Karen are an interracial couple.. who knows if they'll last because it IS a soap opera, but they are really good together. Generations had a great interracial couple back in the day, but it got canceled. I only watch Y&R and GL so I don't know about the other soaps, but I don't think that racism has anything to do with the couples not lasting more than a year or two. JMHO

• Members

Wasn't it implied in the 70's or 80's by Bill Bell that Katherine Chancellor had a lesbian fling?

I suspect they might be moving towards Cane falling for Chloe, but they want to divide the Lily fan base first between Cane and Billy.

Shouldn't BBLH's possible spoiler stuff be in spoiler tags, or should this thread be in the possible spoiler forum?

• Members

Nope, she's one beautiful mutt. According to imdb.com, her mom is of Filipino, German and Spanish descent. Her father is of Italian, Scottish, Irish and Native American Heritage. I always thought Filipino, but never really looked to see what her actual heritage was until your post. I guess this means her RL parents were an interracial couple! :)

• Members

Well, this is a tricky subject. I don't have any problem with interactial relationships and have been in a couple of myself in my day lol But like a previous poster said, the interacial relationships tend to develop on soaps, because there aren't enough black characters on the shows. I don't even think of Lily as black, so her relationships with Daniel, Cane, and Billy don't feel interacial to me. I would like to see some strong black couples on soaps, who are connected

to the town as a whole. AMC is in the perfect position with Jesse and Angie. I just don't get why they didn't cast an African American actress to play Rebecca. It's as if, sorry our quota is met; must hire a white woman for this role. <_<

• Members

I find it weird that Lily has had three boyfriends, all white, and no one's said anything about it. That is just bizarre. Imagine if a white character exclusively dated black people I'm sure that'd be a plot point. I have a cousin who hasn't dated a black woman in 10 years, believe me his family talks about it. Constantly. It's just a fact of life.

But I suppose if they're fearful of interracial relationships I shouldn't expect them to address the reality of them either.

• Members

It's past time that Lily is back burnered. There was a blind item floating around at one time about a black actress that refused to being paired with a black actor and everyone guessed it as being Christel since she's never been paired with a black actor. But, it seemed that LML was trying to make it appear that she wanted Devon and Lily paired together but the audience was grossed out by it since he was her foster brother.

I'm white and from the south and I don't mind an interracial couple at all; we've just moved on to discriminating towards the gay population. Just kidding about the gay thing (bad joke)!!! I liked Daniel with Lily and now Billy makes the Lily character likable but I detest the Lame pairing because they were so boring together.

Archived