The Politics Thread

• Members

So apparently Trump is dodging his security briefings.

Trump turning away intelligence briefers since election win

I also read that the UN is trying to make the case for the U.S. not to be the defacto 'head' of the organization come January after Trump is sworn in. Regardless of German elections, I wouldn't be surprised if Merkel's name pops up as an alternative. 

The word is that while in Peru, many world leaders came to President Obama concerned about the U.S.' place of leadership because of Trump. I think Trump's wild unpredictability bolster's Angela Merkel's case, whereas she previously may have been on shakier ground but other nations will want some sort of predictability and stability. Everyone may not particularly care for Merkel or Germany's lean toward austerity (which I've read that Germany has been re-thinking lately) but leaders know what they are going to get with her, and they may now crave a greater sense of predictability.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Merkel's problem isn't so much world leaders as it is the uprising in Germany due to the refugee backlash and the general struggles of anyone who has been in power for such an extended period of time. Well that and the EU being headed by what seems to be a pompous fool. I think Merkel will always be a strong check to Trump on a global stage but the stage she's on is steadily being sawed away. The next big election will be in France, where the choice is between an extreme right wing quasi-establishment figure who unexpectedly made the final round of voting instead of that toxic Sarkozy, a weaker quasi-centrist-leftist, and the terrifying Le Pen dynasty. The best case scenario is the first guy wins, but even that shows how much has changed and is changing in Europe. 

Frankly I was surprised to read anyone was bothering with the briefs, even Pence. That crazy guy (Flynn) mouthing off during security briefings sort of said it all. The best I can hope for is someone relatively sane will have some sort of say. I know some seem to trust Mattis, the guy Trump may pick for Defense. Of course that likely means he won't pick him now...

• Members

The man who said it is someone who drove the party to the right in purity contests galore (no new taxes ever). Part of the joke of Reagan worship with these types is that Reagan did raise taxes. They usually say that Reagan had to because Democrats controlled the House, but even with that, I don't believe Reagan would agree with most of what the GOP has become, even if he started all of this (the racist dog whistles, the "Reagan Democrats"). He was pretty extreme himself at various points, especially his first few years in office, but he did want to actually get something done. The Republicans in charge now just want to burn it all down. They lie to themselves by acting like it's for St. Ronnie, and it discomfits them that the Breitbart group don't even bother to hide their true goals - total destruction. 

• Members

He'll say anything for money and he has ties to some of the dictators who wanted Trump in the first place. He's also a sycophant, whereas Romney was not "loyal." 

I imagine it will be Rudy in the end. If the Senate had any backbone I'd imagine they would give him a foot in the ass, but we know that isn't likely.