The Politics Thread

• Members

I've heard Carson really did help people as a doctor, and was well-respected until the last few years. I'd like to believe he will not just destroy and hurt people who are struggling. I really would. 

Anyway...it looks like Betsy DeVos will be Education Secretary. Compared to some names I saw, like Jerry Falwell Jr, there could be worse choices, although she's big on charter schools. Her husband is also one of the big Amway people.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/betsy-devos-education-secretary-trump-231804

More about her here:

http://www.chalkbeat.org/posts/us/2016/11/22/what-a-betsy-devos-appointment-would-tell-us-about-donald-trumps-education-plans/

Nikki Haley has agreed to be the UN ambassador, I guess for Trump's version of "look I can hire people who trash me." That makes me even less likely to believe he'll pick Romney for SoS, although that old smirky windbag Gingrich pushing back against it on Faux News makes me hope he does just for the rictus grins that ilk will have.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/23/us/politics/nikki-haley-donald-trump-un-ambassador.html?_r=0

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

And it looks like DeVos' brother has ties to a name I never wanted to hear again - Blackwater. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/trump-picks-billionaire-betsy-devos-school-voucher-advocate-as-education-secretary/2016/11/23/c3d66b94-af96-11e6-840f-e3ebab6bcdd3_story.html

Do you ever feel like the present is just one long acid trip version of the past? 

• Members

^ I feel like I'm one of the AI bots in Westworld. "Dolores, do you ever question the nature of your reality"? I sure as hell have the last couple of weeks. When this first happen I honestly wondered if maybe I'd been knocked in the head before the election and all of this is some terrible coma induced nightmare.

• Members

Oh I know. Was just pointing out a couple of Trump supporters' horrifying behaviors.

I actually just found out that Secretary of States, when working, get Diplomatic Security Service protection, not Secret Service protection. I don't know if DSS is for life though. 

But as a former First Lady, Hillary got Secret Service protection at home while serving as Secretary of State, and as you said, gets it for life.

In other news, Jill Stein is fundraising for a recount in WI, MI, and PA. No way she hits her goal, but I thought it was interesting... 

The Stein/Baraka Green Party Campaign is launching an effort to ensure the integrity of our elections. With your help, are are raising money to demand recounts in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania-- three states where the data suggests a significant need to verify machine-counted in vote totals. 

This effort to ensure election integrity is inyour hands! We need to raise over $2 million by this Friday, 4pm central. In true grassroots fashion, we’re turning to you, the people, and not big-money corporate donors to make this happen.

Edited by Ms. Quartermaine

• Members

Yeah, sort of, but the legal kind. Someone tricked me into going to one of their meetings 20 years ago. It was truly bizarre. The person who tricked me into going was late, so these women outside the meeting room befriended me. They were very proud of the fact that they take extra napkins and sugar from places like McDonald's so that they could "put the money saved into their business". When the doors of the meeting opened they grabbed my arms and we ran to he front so we could get the best seats.  To see a guy lecturing us about Amway.

Please register in order to view this content

Basically the whole point is to buy all your own household items from Amway and to get people signed up under you so you get a percent of their sales.  It's just short of a cult. No thanks.

Ben Carson is really a strange case to me. On the one hand, no amount of education or training could have ever turned me into a brain surgeon. I recognize that he has to be super smart, but he thinks the Earth was created a few thousands years ago? I just don't get it.

• Members

Yes, all multi-level marketing is. My aunt did it for while about 25+ years ago and ended up with nothing. There are some friends of my family who are still involved with it after 30 some odd years. Amway preys on people who want their own businesses and financial freedom, which is similar to Trump University. Birds of a feather.

• Members

I have to go past the Amway Australia building here all the time. I've never known anyone that sells it though because pretty much everyone knows it's a scam.

i was reading about this woman's education ideas and I see she's a big propionate of charter schools. I'm not super familiar with them or the idea behind them but from what I've read today, they seem like a terrible idea. Are they big in America? It seemed to be me, just from reading, that they either end up preying on people in inner-cities or are used to basically create a free private school for privileged children.

• Members

In case this hasn't been noted yet...

https://jillstein.nationbuilder.com/recount

At time of writing, already $2.4mil of the $2.5mil required had been raised. First deadline is day after Thanksgiving (for WI). MI deadline is Monday 28th, PA deadline is Wednesday 30th. 

Things could get very interesting indeed...

UPDATE: Target of $2.5mil now reached, so all recounts are funded and ready to be filed! Here we go...

Edited by OzFrog