Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

People have been brushing off a lot of what Castro said even before he stepped down in 2006.  His criticisms of Obama, he said them but his heart wasn't really in it. Even he knew that time marches on and changes had to happen, which is why he was pretty silent on the opening of diplomatic relations, the embassy and lifting restrictions on travel to and from the island, looking the other way while Cuban families opened business on their properties (which technically was illegal).

Castro has a complex legacy and I knew personally that many Cubans (in Cuba) are disillusioned in the failure of the Revolution to live up to its ideals but many also take a dim view of the exile community who they worry are lying in wait to usurp the land and make it another Miami.

It is also true that Cuba and Castro is revered in other Caribbean countries for what they see as promoting pan-Caribbean solidarity and standing up to what they see as an imperial power.  Like @AdelaideCate007 mentioned, many people saw his stance against apartheid as not only championing the cause of the oppressed underclass but also putting the U.S. and Great Britain under a microscope for  their hypocrisy in supporting the apartheid regime, even in the face of calls to divest itself of South Africa.

Ironically, Castro also went to the Dominican Republic to help with the effort to vanquish another dictator, Rafael Trujillo (ever heard of him?) who was slaughtering Haitians and Dominicans in droves (mostly Haitians).

In my family, there are Cuban trained doctors and Cuban trained doctors have the highest regard, so highly that President Obama praised them in how they dealt with the ebola crisis in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone.  The U.S. government was roundly criticized when it was discovered that they were trying to poach Cuban doctors in the middle of a health crisis.

Castro could be ruthless and brutal in the way his regime dealt with detractors and enemies- both real and imagined. Even as HIV+ patients got better care than what many got in the U.S., many were locked away for years in sanitariums. And many speaking on behalf and part of the LGBT community were dealt with as harshly as the pro-democracy advocates.

The sad fact is also that the U.S. unfortunately, enabled the Batista regime before him and that eventually paved the way for Castro's entry into the Cuban political arena in the first place.  The Batista regime was utterly corrupt and so disliked that when Castro and his band of fighters rode into Havana, they were welcomed with open arms by the people. It would be more than a year before people actually began to question Castro's political agenda.

Prior to Obama (only Carter was the exception), U.S. leadership only strengthened Castro's hand by giving him an excuse to rule with an iron fist, claiming to be a little island going up against a mighty imperial power, casting himself as a pugnacious underdog.

Perhaps if other U.S. presidents had approached Cuba the way Obama did, Cuba would have had no other choice but to do likewise. Who knows? 

I'm sparing a thought for the people on the island who are cautious of what the future will bring. I'm side eyeing people who voted for Trump (who has despotic dreams) but rail about Castro's fiery speeches and suppression of personal rights and freedoms.  The same people who try to repeal Roe v. Wade every single year.

I'm also reminded that as long as Castro lasted (is it 10 U.S. Presidents come and gone?), he in fact is still just a mortal man and passes away like any other mortal man.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Honestly after Trump said he didnt want to hurt the clintons and persue an investigation. now Trump will reverse this full speed ahead on locking Hilary up. hilary should have played this smarter let Jill do all the dirty work. hilary again shows why she lost this election. this woman is a complete idiot and she conceeded how can that be reversed?

• Members

Jill has little credibility to conduct a recount at this point. If the recount has credibility it would be from someone who is actually considered a credible candidate. 

It's not like Hillary will run again anyway.

E.T.A. Are folks still believing that bullsh*t that Trump is going to prosecute Hillary when he doesn't have the power to do that on his own? M'kay.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

U know not defending Trump but if he the shoe was on the other foot media and Hilary fans would be blasting him calling him a baby. u know she lost end of story she has to blame herself for a campaign with a weak message, complete arrogance and unlikeable personality. democrats need to move foward for 2020 and people who are complaining are still people who didnt vote at all. if u didnt vote please shut up and dont speak.

• Members

That wouldn't surprise me.  I've thought about this and I can come up with only one answer: the Clintons must know something the rest of America doesn't.  That's why they're getting involved, and why they're getting involved at this point.

But, good Lord, with so many shoe-drops we've had throughout this year and this election, it's amazing anyone still has their shoes ON.

I would not put it past them either.

Between all the deaths and the Election That Would Not Die, I feel like 2016 is out to destroy us all.

Edited by Khan