The Politics Thread

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/19/nyregion/questions-about-al-sharptons-finances-accompany-his-rise-in-influence.html

Mr. Sharpton has regularly sidestepped the sorts of obligations most people see as inevitable, like taxes, rent and other bills. Records reviewed by The New York Times show more than $4.5 million in current state and federal tax liens against him and his for-profit businesses.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I like that HRC pronounces "Muslim" correctly. It's a small thing, but in these times it's nice to see. I definitely agree with the pundits who say she's stronger on foreign policy, although given her resume it would be sad if she weren't. 

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

I went to bed before the end of the debate but one thing stuck in my mind from last night:

Surely Sanders must know that mentioning Clinton's 2002 Iraq war vote is not the same as offering specifics on his own foreign policy agenda, right?  

Everytime he's asked a foreign policy question, he seems to dance around it by referencing Clinton's Iraq vote and he seems to try to tie himself to Obama, who also mentioned Clinton's Iraq war vote, but the difference is that at least, Obama countered with specifics of how his proposed foreign policy agenda would be different from 2007-2008 foreign policy.  

We expect Clinton to be fluent on foreign policy, given her previous position, but Sanders really needs to start offering specifics on what he would do/change/fix in terms of foreign policy.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Only if Kim Kardashian is Sanders' Vice President. Or would *that* finally be going too far for all the dumbasses well-informed voters of America? 

Regardless of his political position, with Christie, even with all the hoopla and buzz around him a few years back, my concern would be a man of his size is one more Big Mac away from a heart attack. 

Edited by Gray Bunny

• Members

Speaking of vice presidents in the unlikely event Sander's won, I could see HRC as his VP, but I can't imagine vice versa.  They seem to get along so well it almost seems like the natural solution, but I'm sure she's going to want to go more to the center. My guess is she'll go for a white Christian male.  I haven't seen much talk of VP choices on the talk shows, but I'm interested to see who makes the short list.

• Members

I hate when he calls it  Isis is just catchier and uniformly accepted, so why try and push Isil?  A google search of Isis shows CNN calls it than, the NY Times, The New Yorker,  The Guardian...these aren't bumpkin news outlets.  Not sure what you guys mean with the correct way to pronounce Muslim.   I pronounce it like Does-Lim.  I gather that is not correct from this discussion. 

• Members

Closer to "mooslim" is correct.  You'll hear it now that you know. I didn't know for the longest time and I don't think you have to know if you are the average person. You can't know everything about everything. If you are the president (or want to be) and we are at war in the middle east you should get it right, imo.