The Politics Thread

• Members

I agree on economics, Democrats and Republicans are similar. Clinton passed NAFTA, Obama wants TPP, both of which are good for corporations and bad for workers. Clinton also signed the Gramm Bliley Act, the biggest Wall Street deregulation bill since the Great Depression. Also, if you look at the wealthiest politicians in DC, they are mostly Democrats. John Kerry was the wealthiest politician with 3.2 billion, about equal to Donald Trump.

Edited by GregNYC

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm already seeing the spin about how great it was for Marco and terrible for Trump, so the scripts have been delivered in advance. I have to admit it makes me laugh to see a GOP frontrunner talk at length about how W helped cause 9/11. I never thought I'd see the day. 

• Members

It was by far the ugliest debate but I don't know how you can characterize the immigration debate that way...

What I heard was Ted Cruz wants to deport 11.5 million illegal immigrants who broke the law. Fine okay that's his view.

Marco Rubio wants to secure the border completely, then deport those who are criminals, etc and then create a path to legalization for those remains but NOT citizenship. To me this seams the more reasonable and doable approach. Not to mention it's a fair compromise. They shouldn't be allowed to vote after breaking the law IMO. 

Fascinating how Trump and Rubio are trying so hard to paid Cruz as a liar and snake/opportunist. I'm curious if it will eventually stick. 

• Members

They lost me when Cruz accused Rubio of going on Univision and saying in Spanish (!!) that he wouldn't fight President Obama's immigration bill. It was completely ridiculous. They were calling each other out on any compromise they ever made on the subject and it was completely disingenuous.

• Members

This was the best debate ever!  It was like if the WWE sponsored a debate this is what it would look like.   The whole thing seemed like an organized effort to bring Trump down, fair enough for the candidates but it seemed like the moderator was setting it all up.  Trump is right that the audience are supporters of the other candidates so their boos don't count.   Most interesting was how they all cling to to their fantasy that everything about 9/11 was Clinton's fault, and everything in Iraq is Obama's fault.  Trump was the only one speaking the truth about what actually happened and who was president, and Jeb wants to bring the very same people back for a sequel.    The republicans want endless war and Trump, the guy with the bad temperament, is the only one who sees how nuts that is.  Unfortunately republicans can't allow themselves to see that because it would call their entire world view into question.

My favorite line was when Trump said Barbara Bush is the one who should be running.

Edited by quartermainefan

• Members

President Obama once nicknamed the GOP debates as The Hunger Games Debates.:lol:  Is it any wonder?

I think the Democrats are going to push the needle on the nomination progress.  

Already Elizabeth Warren and Hillary Clinton have each spoken out on the need for the current President (not the next) to choose a nominee and for the Senate to do due diligence and see the nomination process through without delay.  Both have said that if the Senate fail to do so, they fail to observe their Constitutional mandate.  Warren said that this would fly in the face of all that the GOP have been claiming they were about- adherence to the Constitution.

And the argument that a nomination shouldn't occur in an election year is pure bunk.  Reagan nominated one of his 3 Supreme Court justices during an election year (1988).

• Members

I mean if the Republicans want to pursue this route then more power to them....its absolutely hilarious given the Senate races. This will make it all too easy (esp with Hillary at the top) for the Dems to take back the Senate. And then we can get a good Supreme Court justice...although I do wonder if the Republicans have the gall to go over a year without one

Edited by ThePrinceOfSunspear

• Members

There's not much the average voter can do about. Even if you were you get all the independents and democrats to rage at the republicans blocking it I doubt they'd move. The republican base/voters support this tactic so like you said they will go ahead with it.

We just have to pray that the Senate flips again this fall...