The Politics Thread

• Members

There are kids marching and protesting in cities that already have strict gun laws but I don’t see this action in other places. If the votes don’t matter, if voting doesn’t work, then what is the alternative? In places where people feel that their voting processes are suppressed and therefore don’t matter, what is the alternative of making change? Stacey Abrams made change, significant change in GA. Are people waiting for Stacey to fix everything for everybody?
This is not to blame the victims but a genuine question about what can be done. There is the aspect that a percentage of the population, a portion of which are Latino, vote Republican, that cannot be ignored. It must be addressed in these representation issues.

I am far from an expert, so I am genuinely interested in people’s thoughts on this.

I was speaking specifically about Florida and Texas. 

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Several high schools here in Omaha have had school walk outs today. I'm guessing it's happening in many places just not on huge scales.

https://www.ketv.com/article/omaha-central-high-school-students-walkout-protest-gun-violence/40128167

I honestly don't know what we can do. There are areas where our government is corrupt through and through and gun control is one of them. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm over all happy to be American. No amount of Russian or Chinese bots will make me believe we are an evil empire, but we have some huge problems and this is one of them.

• Members

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern of New Zealand, interviewed on Steven Colbert's show.   Interview in three parts. Watch all three parts all the way through.  It is so refreshing to see a sane government.  She talks about gun control, Covid, Ukraine, sustainability, etc.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

C/O a generous stranger, free access to this article.

“While Ms. James, a Democrat seeking re-election, does not have the authority to bring criminal charges against Mr. Trump or his family’s real estate business, she can file a lawsuit if she concludes that they committed fraud.”

• Members

Yeah. That is the type of comparison that will completely invalidate a person's position. I support a certain amount of loan forgiveness for low income people. Maybe some sort of matching situation like pay $5,000 get $2,500 forgiven. Maybe even just stopping the interest, but the comparison  turns me off completely to that cause. My take away is that we have much bigger fish to fry.

• Members

These are the deadenders and grifters who call these futile gestures, then get upset when Biden does not play along with futile gestures by having his people go on talk shows to say platitudes about  gun control that no one believes will happen. They decry identity politics while only caring about identity politics. Just worthless figures who dominate so much of  the online and media discourse and  can barely hide their glee at Democratic losses or Republican wins.