Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Today in Manchin Mondays: Manchin holds a 'press conference' in which he whines about the infrastructure bill being 'held hostage' and takes no questions.

The House appears ready to call his latest bluff (wisely, IMO):

A rather pointed response from the WH as well:

Republican McConnell booster Jake Sherman was creaming his jeans at the thought of the House being over a barrel because of this, but I think he's wrong and other reporters are right - the House is daring Manchin to vote against the package. And I don't think he will. I think he hoped to pull another stunt to blow up the bill passage, and the House appears to be signaling it won't stop.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Here's yesterday's episode of This Week with George Stephanopoulos:

One of George's guests was the great Adam Kinzinger. He has decided not to run for re-election, partly because sane people are no longer welcome in the GOP and party because of the extremely hypocritical and power-hungry behavior of the Illinois Democratic Party, who made Kinzinger a victim of gerrymandering. As Adam himself stated (starting at around the 13:10 mark), "When Democrats do say they want, you know, Republican partners to tell the truth and then they specifically target me, it makes you wonder." (And I am not sympathetic to the argument that Democrats have no choice but to gerrymander in those states where they are in charge, because failure to do so would be to unilaterally disarm. The reason for my lack of sympathy is that Democrats engaged in gerrymandering before it became something they incessantly complained about Republicans doing.)

One of my favorite parts of This Week with George Stephanopoulos is the "Powerhouse Roundtable." Whenever Chris Christie is on, it becomes Must-See TV, IMO. While I still have such a hard time understanding why he supported Trump, he is trying to walk back some of his prior support; for instance, he has called out The Big Lie on many occasions. From all indications, it appears that Christie will run for president in 2024, and he is certainly somebody I could support.

Edited by Max

• Members

So, what's everyone's thoughts on the climate summit that has just started in Glasgow? Is there still a chance we can save the planet or is it too late? I have to confess that I'm not very optimistic myself. I hope they prove me wrong.

One thing that is so striking is watching all these old men and women sitting inside, deciding what to do, while the young people, those who will have live with the consequences, are protesting outside....

• Members

It is the definition of busy work. And many efforts to be involved in "action" are little better, like idiots here in the US who are having a hunger strike outside Biden's office, when there's nothing he can do. SCOTUS is soon likely to rule in a way that will make it impossible for Congress to do anything against big business on environmental issues. 

When you're a kid and you hear the "plant a tree" song on TV over and over, you don't ever understand just how many people are fine with the planet dying as long as they get some money to wrap their coffins in.

• Members

It looks like Mark Warner, one of the senators who hides behind Manchin, is already blaming a possible gubernatorial loss in VA on progressives not passing the bill, so I have a feeling we've got a lot more can-kicking in store.

If Macauliffe does lose, there are many reasons (a rusty campaign, hysteria over "save the children from liberal brainwashing," the inaction and decay of the Democratic Congress, a media that worships his opponent - who fulfills the hatred of women and queer people that they crave and also their never-ending daddy issues), but I'm never going to forget the crass, stupid publicity stunt from the Lincoln Project people. These types of things only work when they are done to benefit Republicans, because there are zero standards for the GOP. They want us to die, and the media praises them for their bravery and clarity. 

• Members

Sadly, I think the fact that this STILL has not passed will hurt McAuliffe in VA. The article highlights voters complaining that nothing is getting done as promised under Biden/Democrats. (Yes, Republicans obstruct, and Manchin/Sinema are glad to join them, but what it comes down to is voters feeling jaded, which may give Youngkin the boost he needs.)

That is the cost of going so slow.