The Politics Thread

• Members

Isn't it 2 sides of the same coin though. It seems the Bernie contingent hate democrats more than republicans.

Listen there are plenty of issues to criticize people across the board for but Biden right now is the least. The Recovery Act regardless of some flaws helped a ton of people. The Child Tax credit alone is going to help millions and we should all kiss Sherrod Browns shoes for that one.

My biggest issue at this point is this insistence that it's all about economics and class. I'm sorry that has never been true. Anyone who thinks people voted for Trump the "populist(laughing) because of that is fooling themselves.  States across this country are limiting voting targeting marginalized groups and banning the teaching of things like the KKK is immoral, banning the teaching of the writings of MLK, and labor rights activists(Chavez) and women's rights activists(Susan B Anthony) and I am supposed to believe the people who vote for those who are doing these things are voting for them due to economics is ridiculous.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Based on the list of past prognostications I already listed which you can't admit you were wrong about or acknowledge happened, I don't need to check any more of your previous posts to know you're consistently wrong and don't acknowledge it. Meanwhile you keep coming back to insist we listen to what you're hearing from Republicans on social media, because as we know, Republicans are all-powerful and always win, except when they don't and you stop posting. And I'm far from an 'establishment Dem,' lol. I just don't live in the reality you create entirely on FB and Twitter. Anyway, I'll pass and you can feel free to ignore the infrastructure reconciliation package when it goes through, then show up in November claiming it didn't really matter just like the Jobs Plan and the Child Tax Credit. But moving on:

Any progressive claiming the real issue is "economics and class" is a white person deeply uncomfortable with racial and sexual politics who prefers to keep the narrative centered on and prioritizing their voice and their needs first and foremost. The dead end wing of the left learned the hard way that didn't work in the last five years, and those that still don't accept it are heading to Fox News.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Josh Kraushaaar is a longtime Republican spin agent who's dwindled in relevance over the last decade, but even he can't make Sinema look bulletproof.

LOL:

True, and I'll put it in both threads since it always needs to be said:

It is not, in fact, a gift for Republicans just bc Beltway pundits who often came out of conservative college journals or think-tanks say it is. This won't matter to anyone outside the Beltway. But you'll see a lot of snide and sullen language from the usual suspects like Bade, who all came up as cub reporters listening raptly to Boehner and Mitch and now enjoy following Manchin around. When Dems outmaneuver Republicans, they're always pissed.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I feel like much of the media, from the Beltway to Faux News to the grifter "left" like Krystal Ball, have brainwashed much of the public into thinking the insurrection was no big deal and spinning the narrative into Democrats being seen as desperate or lying. With the hand they've been dealt, choosing to bounce all the extremists and hatemongers from the committee is probably the best move, but it will be difficult to push back against the easy talking points of inflation and gas prices and the party only cares about what their base wants to hear, and so on.

The Beltway (like the previously mentioned Josh Kraushaar) is already setting the talking points, and the narrative is what carries the day. (never mind that Tim Ryan, barring a miracle, is likely to lose badly no matter what he talks about, as so many of the candidates in red states have in recent years)

• Members

Why on earth is 2016 being relitigated yet again. But I also remember PoC being ignored during the primaries by one campaign and the booing of John Lewis at the Democratic Convention. Next time try courting the base of the party before thinking winning is possible after calling them "low information".

• Members

I didn't vote for Bernie in the 2016 and 2020  primaries but I would've vote for him had he won the nomination. I can't say that would've been the case for some of those who voted for Biden had Bernie won the nomination. 

I don't "hate" and oppose every bill that Democrats  pass despite certain things being removed. I thought the passage  of the Affordable Care Act despite not having the public option was a good thing. I'm not I didn't like the way some of the Establishment Dems was eager to just kick the can and make excuses for why the $15 min wage and the reduction of the weekly benefits.  Don't you ever get tired of the Democrats having to be like oral surgeons extracting teeth just to get billls  passed and the Republicans often ramming their bills through?

• Members

The minimum wage was always going to be a longshot at best on that bill, and anyway who told you otherwise was in fantasy camp. The rest of your language about Democrats is straight out of right wing framing and the Joe Rogan Show.

They haven't, though. The actual polling and numbers do not support that the public believes that about 1/6 at all. The public does not agree with the Beltway often, and whenever that happens the Beltway often then grudgingly course corrects and refuses to acknowledge they said otherwise. This is a process we have seen play out regularly for over a decade. It does not make it real. Every time the Beltway media says something, it does not automatically become the accepted public wisdom and popular. If it did we'd still be dealing with President Marco Rubio or Tim Pawlenty. Most of the offline public also has no idea who Krystal Ball is - or, as I keep saying, Josh Kraushaar, who has become increasingly irrelevant from the public square in the last decade to the point of soon ending up on Newsmax. Most people don't know these people. Twitter is not the actual political paradigm, especially not when viewed through the lens of fading Republican pundits and angry leftists.

Edited by Vee

• Members

This will go in the other thread as well, but it's important as Bade/Politico have been trashed for 24 hours to the point that she and the magazine have once again let the mask slip with some key wording.

And yes, she got ratioed again. There's been huge pushback on this spin overnight despite it being taken to the airwaves, so I predict it will, like so many others, be grudgingly withdrawn in the coming days as the Beltway press refuse to acknowledge they spun it or were wrong about public opinion.