The Politics Thread

• Members

While nowhere near as bad as Schroeder, he has shown some off-putting behavior. The most recent that comes to mind is the sh*tty way that he treated Janet Hubert on the reunion show when both Hubert and Will Smith, as well as the rest of the cast tried their best to extend the olive branch. I was looking to hear that maybe the piece was edited somehow but there was no explanation from him. It just made him look like a jerk. 

Maybe both Schroeder and Ribeiro have Napoleon complexes or something, IDK.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It sounds vaguely familiar that alcohol may have been involved in some of those DV incidents but I am not entirely sure, as I try to minimize how much news about his dreck that I consume.

I wish he'd just go invest in some therapy and leave the rest of the population alone.

• Members

I spoke on this the last time it was threatened, but I'll discuss it again. However this goes, it is going to suck in the short term. If they have inadvertently (and fanatics aside, it is inadvertent for many of the higher GOP brass and money people, who never truly wanted Roe overthrown - they need it to always be a perpetual wedge issue for the base, like Obamacare, which still isn't dead) activated the third rail, it will fùck the party politically long-term, and cases can be fought and won locally for years to come to reinstate abortion protections should it come to that. Abortion rights will persevere down the road. But the larger immediate tragedy on a national level, should it occur, will still be obscene.

• Members

All that matters is what happens when they fail to find these votes. Any number of outcomes are in play. This may be theater for Manchin to then say "I tried!" and vote Dem as he usually does, but it may not be for Murkowski. It also doesn't negate the importance of S1 as well. But this public drama happening (including discussion of pre-clearance) is good news, period.

• Members

This is one of the reasons the right, and the media, have been moving the activist base away from abortion and more towards topics like saying all liberals eat babies and are human traffickers. The base of their party - the main people who will be able to vote from now on thanks to these voter suppression laws (and the only ones with votes who will count thanks to the laws allowing Republicans to just throw out what they don't like) will support abortion being made illegal, and the money men will keep writing checks because they are still getting what they really want.

Selfish media whore Manchin putting out his meaningless letter on the same day real, severe consequences of his "I've got mine, screw you" attitude reveal themselves unintentionally underscores just how much damage this type of politician does to the future of this country. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

This is a hypothetical. It is what the GOP wants, but it's not an actual reality right now nor a guaranteed one. That is important to clarify. Obviously voting rights and protections are absolutely integral to put into place, but treating every possible failure and catastrophe as a foregone conclusion and inevitable eventuality has been proven wrong again and again in the last year.

Further, the evangelical and GOP base is not enough to win national elections. 2020 proved that (and some of them stayed home). And if they do break Roe and force us to rebuild abortion rights state by side, which is a very real possibility now, electorally that has consequences which is why the GOP higher-ups have tried to exploit the idea of repealing Roe while avoiding actually having to play this outcome for years - because it will alienate a huge portion of the squishy middle American vote. Which already went Biden for a reason. Losing Roe, if it happens, will be an obscenity. But it will not be the end of abortion rights, which will have to be rebuilt, and it will lead to serious damage to the GOP electorally. Because no, the entire voting majority will not be GOP. Unless you believe nothing will be done about voting rights in the next year or two, which I don't. YMMV.

Meanwhile: