Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I've wondered that myself.  It isn't as if Bernie, his associates or his followers possess any earth-shattering ideologies.

At the start, I thought Pete Buttigieg would siphon away some of Bernie's support, on account of his youth, and the fact that he was the first openly gay man to run for president.  I thought millennials in particular would see a lot of themselves in him.  Yet, that doesn't appear to be happening -- or at least, not happening as much as I had expected.  Berners are like Trumpers: they are prepared to go over the cliff with their leader.

Michael Moore and I were probably among the first to say Trump would win the 2016 election; ergo, I can't say TOO much bad about the man.  I think Moore can be right some of the time, and wrong some of the time, too.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I'd never suggest that you shouldn't vote Republican (although, for our country's sake, I believe it to be in your best interests and mine not to). If we are to take away anything from the past week's events, however, let it be this: we need to vote. All of us. Every. Single. One.

Regardless of your present circumstances. Regardless of your opinions about our current administration. Regardless of anything witnessed by the same God who woke me this chilly February morning and urged me to write these words. Just. Vote.

Benjamin Franklin once said this republic was ours if we could keep it. I, for one, suggest we should.

#KeepTheRepublic

Edited by Khan

• Members

I've been hearing that Amy Klobuchar is building a fair amount of support in Iowa. She also has a moderate stance -- might she eat into Biden's caucus vote?

@Khan Thanks for the reminder. I need to re-register -- as a US voter living abroad it sometimes is more difficult for us to register. Especially if we don't have 'property' in the US (sorry, I'm not a millionaire).

P.S.: What is your new avatar pic going to be?

Edited by Cat

• Members

I think she might cost him a win, but he's probably not winning Iowa anyway, Bernie's cult is too fervent. I could see her possibly surpassing Buttigieg, but they are both on a road to nowhere. The main difference is the media seems crazy about her now compared to them - I guess she is their last best hope at this point. 

• Members

Honestly, I haven't a clue, lol.

These days, I think of myself as a reluctant patriot.  I don't WANT to gaf about where this country is heading, because I've never thought much of it, or of human beings in general.  On the other hand, I feel like I have no choice BUT to care, because I'd rather live in a U.S. that makes an attempt, no matter how half-hearted, at being a republic, than spend the rest of my days in an outright oligarchy, where only "the few, the rich, the white" get to control everyone else's destinies.  (I mean, they do that anyway, but you get my drift).

Never in my life have I been so scared to side with the Democrats -- even when I didn't vote, which has been for most of my life, I still never, ever sided with the Republicans -- but if Bernie ends up being the nominee, I'll have to fall in with his repugnant cult, because four years of Donald Trump is MORE than enough, thank you.

Edited by Khan

• Members

It is way too early to call it, but if Bernie wins Iowa (likely) and NH (also likely) and the momentum starts to escalate on his behalf... I think there will be very little to stop him getting the nom. Unless his health seriously worsens.

Yeah, I think Klobuchar will get a decent score in Iowa but she is helped by being from a next-door state. 

• Members

I understand your POV. There have been elections where I did not vote either, either because of apathy or fatalist feelings. It is only after Brexit and Trump that I realise what a fragile thing democracy is, and how much I would miss it if it were gone. I would always regret not having tried to keep its small flame burning if it were ever snuffed out.

Also, I have friends who have grown up or lived in autocracies or dictatorships and they have talked about how places like that impose a sort of 'prison of the mind' on people. People learn early on to second-guess their words, their jokes, their creative endeavours, so as to avoid trouble with the authorities. The state essentially installs enough fear in people that they start to police/censure themselves. I don't think I could live that way.

VICE has a show called States of Undress; one time the show went to China to look at its fast-growing fashion industry. One avant garde fashion designer designed an all-white collection, but as the models walked the runaway with white umbrellas, a red rain came down on their clothes, purposely staining them. This was part of the designer's concept: he was trying to make an environmental point about state destruction of natural habitats in China and the death it brings. He was arrested -- for 5 months. Ostensibly because the use of umbrellas made reference to Hong Kong's umbrella protest movement of 2014. When he came back to fashion, his next collection was a bunch of conservative day suits. When I think that designer's creative impulses and ideas reduced to this, it makes me want to cry.

• Members

Bernie's cult has made it very clear they will not vote for anyone but Bernie - if he doesn't get the nomination then they're done (I imagine many will vote for Trump). So I think that means anyone who isn't in a competitive state should be free to not vote for Bernie and just focus on downballot races. He hasn't earned votes beyond that, in my opinion, and I don't think he ever will. 

Biden may benefit from the same South Carolina boon that helped Hillary, and then Super Tuesday. It would depend on Nevada I suppose.

The other question mark is how long Bernie's cultists can actually focus on him winning. They spent the days running up to the caucus leading hate mobs about Hillary (some of his highest-profile surrogates spent their time doing this) and talking about how much they hate John Kerry. Neither of these people are even running. 

If you told them Hillary was having a book signing nearby and they could go protest her and shout at her if they give up the right to vote for Bernie, they'd do it in a heartbeat. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I learned a little while ago that a close relative of mine passed away, so I'm not in a mood to say what I might have said. I will just say I hope he won't suffer and he uses this time as a period of reflection.

Edited by DRW50