The Politics Thread

• Members

Pence is also apparently up to his beady dead eyes in this mess, too. Which means?

Republicans will likely stall, twist and contort the facts for as long as is humanly possible so the DEMOCRATIC Speaker of the House, one Ms. Nancy Pelosi, won't ascend to the White House. That being said, that's...kind of great. No, hear me out! Because Trump still being under investigation with impeachment hearing during an election year would suck for the optics - and other GOP candidates. The commercials from Democratic opponents write themselves!

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That is especially true when you look at polling being in favor of impeachent. That will be gold and kill republican chances in the Senate and House. Much like what happened with Nixon, if it gets bad enough, I could see them trying to cut a deal with Dems to replace Pence so his successor would become president instead of Pelosi. Just depends how bad it gets. Even if Pence were to survive, he's toxic from his association with Trump and doesn't have the charisma to overcome that. I know many democrats have been afraid of impeachment, but they need to gain power from the message which is that Trump's level of corruption is unacceptable. If the american public accepts it then they deserve the torment they get, but I truly don't see him winning without foreign help and fraud.

• Members

What benefits him most is apathy (there have been so many scandals, day after day, from before he even got elected) and the social media driving of narratives. For instance, today on Twitter people are continuing to heavily push the narrative of climate change activists being monsters and being pagans, going on and on about some woman at an AOC town hall meeting saying that climate change will mean they have to "eat babies." This is what will get attention, more than the same details about Trump day in and day out. 

• Members

It's not something that will be big news but it's heavily trending on Twitter. The story is part of a pattern the right has set up recently - there was a Federalist story a few weeks ago claiming that climate change activists are pagans. Then we started hearing that they worship Moloch and sacrifice children. Now we have this. It's the new version of pizzagate. And it is serving as a call to arms for the crazies as well as a way to blunt out talk about impeachment, which is already becoming more and more about what Biden did wrong or what Schiff did wrong thanks to articles like that recent NYT hit piece on Schiff and the whistleblower. 

I'm not saying anyone needs to be out there saying "climate change activists don't eat babies," because that's nonsensical, but I do think there is a real lack of any organization or message on the left, on any level. Reading this about the DNC just made me feel completely demoralized:

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/04/dnc-biden-ukraine-trump-027028

A similar article about the messaging war against Biden and for Trump that is paying off for them.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/03/trump-ukraine-joe-biden-media-026486

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Ironic that Pete Buttigieg should be considered not as extreme as other Democratic candidates in this election cycle.  We've come a long way, baby. 

Please register in order to view this content

IDK what to say about those texts, except I think it's funny (and strange) how texting turns us all into chatty high school girls.  It's as if these guys all were holding their smartphones under their desks; texting, tweeting and sneaking peeks at Instagram while Trump, Pence, Barr and Pompeo weren't looking.

I caught a bit of Faux News while waiting for my to-go order at [redacted].  Apparently, they're all over the fact that one of 'em said, "The president said 'no quid pro quo' here."

And here we thought Bubbles, who had "found the Lort" while still in college, would be above such skulduggery. 

Edited by Khan

• Members

I'd say they aren't as different in Iowa, given how much federal officials end up being tied into local issues there like ethanol, but if you're too tired to respond, that's fine. This will be my last post directed to you here or elsewhere on the board.

• Members

You can't go by Politico articles to gauge the temperature of the country - Politico leans right and strives for gossip. In the mainstream media, the focus has remained consistent only because Trump has kept fùcking up - the impeachment circus is still about Trump and his ever-widening circle of conspirators. The Schiff angle died on entry outside the right wing, and even outlets like CBS and CNN regularly say up front there is no truth to any claims of misconduct by Biden. This is Trump's mess and it keeps getting worse no matter how they ty to deflect.

• Members

Oh I think Trump will keep screwing up. It's the media and the Democratic response that makes me pause. But there's nothing that can be done about it either way, hopefully the primaries will be sorted out early and Democrats can regroup and the DNC can be put back into shape. 

• Members

That one surprised me since the Times tried to hard to give the right their talking point but most of the MSM did not take the bait or allow the right to go there before being shut down.

I guess the only thing I will say is that everyone cries about how the Beltway is out of touch with Americans, yet we continue to rely on those same people to inform us how we are feeling. This is not a center right country it's center. Maybe even slightly center left. I refuse to go by why anyone in the DC press tells me.

I finally heard that idiot Michael Moore admit that the working class is not Joe Sixpack at the local diner but women, PoC, and immigrants. Coming for someone, Moore, who loves to chide democrats for not chasing people unreachable, that was a big change.

• Members

Honestly, the media take right now is that the Democrats are remarkably disciplined during the impeachment fight. How normal is that? No one is paying attn to the DNC except Politico a.k.a. "Tiger Beat on the Potomac".

Edited by Vee