• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I so agree.

In one of our congressional primary races here in Illinois, Dan Lupinski a blue dog democrat was up against progressive Marie Newman. I canvassed for her because I've never liked Lupinski and they way he got his job the first time was a coronation not an election, by the Illinois machine.

As Newman was gaining endorsements from teachers unions, the SEIU, Lupinski was security police union support, machine endorsements, and trade union support. What put him over the edge was the trade union support. When we talk about union solidarity, don't always believe it. The Trades look down on the likes of SEIU because they look down on the workers and work they do.  And look at who traditionally held a lot of the service jobs and who in many cases were locked out of trade jobs and unions for a long time.

• Members

And this is something that will be a lasting legacy of Trump's. Now these folks realize that if they can stand the shame they can stay.  Classic Ayn Rand "who will stop me"? I'm not saying this particular guy should resign. That's up to Virginians, but you can see the trend will continue.

What I wish would happen is Fairfax resigns, Northam picks a new LG and then resigns himself. Not sure that is possible, but if it is it seems like one way to go.

• Members

Since Northam took office he expanded Medicare, increased funding for public transit, actually got some criminal justice reform passed (raised the felony level) and just gave a few thousand felons back their voting rights. 

This black woman is fine with him staying right where he is.

• Members

Fewer black residents in Virginia want him gone than white residents. Maybe they are seeing the alternative, something those of us who are white I don't believe can comprehend. 

Northam should work on getting all those felons their voting rights back. He should get it on the ballot in November and let Virginians vote on it. It would likely pass as it did in Florida.  That would be living up to what he has promised he was going to do.

• Members

I'm not sure whether this truly belongs in the Politics thread but this is so outrageous, I had to place it somewhere.

North Koreans actually exchange gifts of crystal meth for the Lunar New Year??!!  

Crystal Meth Is North Korea’s Trendiest Lunar New Year’s Gift

• Members

Oh, the stupidity of some people 

Please register in order to view this content

Yvonne Stone, 62, is one of the younger members of the club and tells me she voted for Brexit: "I've been here for three years and have no plans to go back to the UK - but it will depend on what happens.

"When I voted to leave I didn't think it would change anything for my rights to live here. We like it here and we don't want to go back but if I don't get my pension we might not have a choice."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47214093

If she doesn't live in the UK anymore, and had no plans of going back, why did she vote for Brexit? Why did she even bother to vote at all in the referendum?