The Politics Thread

• Members

I'm seriously hoping the Deustche bank raid will uncover laundering by Trump.  That would be so delicious. Something tells me that raid is gonna be a really BIG deal, and since it was done by European authorities, Trump nor any Republican Senator can exert any pressure on them. 

Edited by alphanguy74

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Because, all they see (or choose to see) are folks who purport to think as they do: that we should say "Merry Christmas" and not "Happy Holidays"; that everyone should salute the flag and recite the Pledge of Allegiance under penalty of law; that abortion is murder, homosexuality an abomination, and transgenderism an excuse to rape people in public restrooms; that the Jews have all the money and the media is controlled by the "East Coast liberal elites" and therefore our enemy; that globalism is anti-Christian and anti-God and that "clean coal" and not renewable energy is the future; that schools should teach creationism (over evolution) and denounce vaccines and climate change as "junk science"; that Jesus and Santa were white ("they just are!"); that black and brown people should always defer to the law enforcement authorities who continue to kill them at alarming rates for no good reason and stop holding them (meaning, white people) accountable for things like segregation and voter disenfranchisement, which their "ancestors" (meaning, our grandparents and even parents) had to endure less than a half-century ago; that statues of Confederate generals are shrines to history and not racism; that each "illegal" crossing our borders is a potential terrorist/rapist/murderer who wants to live off the government dole; that Obama is a Kenyan-born Muslim who wants Sharia law and is coming for everyone's guns (even though he isn't president anymore); and that the Clintons are minions of the devil, who should be burned at the stake.

Oh, and that we should support and defend our president at all costs as doing anything less is unpatriotic, un-American and un-Christian.  (Unless, the president happens to have a name like "William Jefferson Clinton" or "Barack Hussein Obama.")

That, too.

Edited by Khan

• Members

That about sums it up. These turkeys on facebook never have a word to say about this modern "war on christmas" when I post half a dozen youtube videos of commercials from the 60's and 70's which all say "Happy holidays",  and I casually mention that for the first half of Obama's first term, the "leftist liberals" had  a filibuster proof majority, and if they want to take their guns, they would have done it already. They are just too stupid to know that the Republicans are manipulating them. 

• Members

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/nc-election-officials-plan-hearing-over-fraud-concerns-in-us-house-race-raising-possibility-of-new-election/2018/11/30/d1fc0450-f4b7-11e8-aeea-b85fd44449f5_story.html?fbclid=IwAR3CW69BINlJd7Za1tEVpwNwTen80gmc2DJTE7zSzhFItJd94nvTe2qSoXM&utm_term=.65a54deb6099

It was only a matter of time before someone decided to actually tamper with votes. The good thing about this is that the bipartisan board of elections was unanimous in refusing to certify the election and wants the investigation.

• Members

Why worry over whether the Russians will interfere in more elections when we're doing a damn good job of that on our own?

George H.W. Bush was not one of the greatest leaders.  However, he certainly deserves our nation's respect far more than the man currently occupying the WH.

• Members

My first memory of George H.W. Bush is a cranky, annoyed old man who seemed to be lecturing the camera all the time. I remember him on the campaign trail with Tabitha Soren on MTV in '92. He never recovered from that with the youth. His loss seemed inevitable. But he was just a different kind of person.

Bush Sr. was a lot of things and did a lot of things I didn't agree with. His record has a host of lowlights and many of us will never forget how his campaigns were run against women and people of color and gays in a very different time. But he wasn't slime and he had a core of decency. A different breed from today's GOP, even if some of his choices did help create them. RIP.

Meanwhile:

Edited by Vee

• Members

I found that clip on Youtube - I'd never seen it. I can't imagine a Republican going on MTV now (then again would anyone go on MTV now?). 

I think my first real memories of Bush are Dana Carvey's impression on SNL. 

Edited by DRW50