The Politics Thread

• Members

The voting rights issue if you think about it is completely contradictory to what prison is alleged to do, reform. (we know it doesn't). People who serve their time should be allowed to vote again. And I'd love to see a breakdown of the 13,000 felons Rick Scott restored voting rights to in Florida. The good news is that this referendum passed with 65% of the vote(they needed 60%). So it was a bipartisan initiative.

As to progressive policies,  Healthcare and Medicaid expansion should be considered bipartisan but it's not. The fact that these referendums are passing all over the country in red states(so are minimum wage increases by the way) should tell people something. When you don't inflict red or blue ideology into it, you get a sense of what people really want. And most want progressive policies IMO, transparency, and fiscal responsibility.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I live in Illinois and in Cook County. I worked to help on Lauren Underwood's campaign and in one of the Cook County Commissioner races, but this IMO is the most gratifying.

DuPage County a traditional GOP stronghold and suburban Chicago county, just elected democrats across the county. The County board for example had a slate of all women candidates on the democratic side.

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20181107/democratic-women-make-unprecedented-gains-in-dupage-county

These are the areas we are being told to start rebuilding from the ground up and it's happening in DuPage. And while I hate to say it, JB Pritzker running as our governor and winning in Illinois has been a factor. His influx of money into his own campaign and his help with some of the other statewide candidates and congressional candidates, freed up money to help the state and county races. A democratic woman, Terra Costa Howard, won her state assembly seat over the GOP house floor rep, Peter Breen. Not an upset other than the fact Breen has been established in house leadership for years. But she had money and her commercials the past 2 weeks all over the local stations(radio and TV) have been nonstop.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

I'll go even further: legalize recreational marijuana, legalize gambling (why should the Native Americans have all the fun? ;)), legalize prostitution.  Enough of this hypocritical "We know what's best for you" b.s.  If they truly knew what was best for us, they'd outlaw (again) the sale and consumption of alcohol, as well as every all you can eat buffet and fast-food joint in the land.  Those things, along with the growing opioid epidemic, is hurting this country more than some damn weed.

They do.  But they also don't want Obama to take away their guns (even though he isn't president anymore and didn't when he was), or Hillary (or her emails) to get away with killing those men in Benghazi (even though the fifty-some-odd-and-counting investigations into the matter have cleared her of any wrongdoing), or Planned Parenthood to sell any more aborted fetuses (which isn't true, has been debunked soundly, etc.).

They want girls to stay girls, men to stay men, men and girls to marry each other, people to stand up before the flag and recite the Pledge of Allegiance ("or else"), and all black and brown people to stay the hell out of America.  The GOP knows that, and so that's what they use to win their votes.

Edited by Khan

• Members

The ridiculous part is the media going crazy asking who the GOP stars are now that Beto and Gillum lost. Beto raised 70 million dollars from grassroots donors. Are these idiots really thinking Beto should retire and go knit. No one asked Bernie to retire after he lost the primary and I'd venture to guess the Texas election was a heck of a lot more rigged than the 2016 presidential primary was.

And I am not comparing the 2 by any means, but Abe Lincoln lost his senate race to Stephen Douglas. What do we think would have happened if he retired and went off to knit for the rest of his life.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

I rolled my eyes at CNN making those comments. I'm like he almost pulled off an upset here. Instead they were talking about how it help the outdated Democrats like Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren keep the faith....ugh...really....???

And I noticed that the border of Texas where the troops are now stationed by Trump all voted blue and not red....from north of Laredo to all the way down south to Brownsville was blue. So they aren't buying that wall BS. 

• Members

Exactly.  So what would the harm be in legalizing and/or de-criminalizing those vices in this country?  If anything, they're popular, for lack of a better word, because we tend to look at them as "forbidden fruit;" yet, removing that aura of forbidden-ness through legislation might help remove the appeal.

Seriously, when is it not?

Edited by Khan