Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

At least with Trump(and his entire administration including Pruitt and the "I was just following orders for torture" Gina Haspel)  the world is getting a real sense of who America is as the so called "responsible leadership". Obama could have reshaped our role and image but in some ways he couldn't. I believe he realized his role as the first black president and had he varied too far of the so called "establishment" presidential role, he would have been impeached. whether he broke a law or not. The hatred and resentment for him was that high.

The US is an imperialistic empire. As much as Russia may have interfered in our election, the real culprits are the Saudi's and Israeli's. Their politicking has led us to break the Iran deal plus Trump's desire to undo everything Obama did. The Iran deal had it's flaws but it is the one positive I can point to in his foreign policy strategy for the middle east. Israel wants the unrest as do the Saudi's. And it also benefits Russia.  Trump is following the Bush Jr. Middle East playbook now. Next coming - war with Iran. Count on it.

• Members

Not a very capable one lately.  I wonder if anyone in this administration can even articulate the plan. I doubt it since I don't believe there is one.

I don't really think it's the fault of the Saudi's or the Israeli's. How can we blame other countries for decisions made by our own bad government?  They lobbied for what they believe is in their own best interests. That's what foreign governments do. The buck stops in DC as far as I can see.  If you believe that we would have a different government if not for Russian interference, then I would say some of the blame goes to them as well.

• Members

The U.S. has been an imperialistic country for over a century, it's just that, over the last few decades that imperialistic grip has become weaker for a number of reasons- one of them being that other countries, once on the margins have gotten stronger.

China, a country whose empire had faded centuries ago (before America existed) and was considered a poor backward country by Western standards, has come in from the margins to become a superpower. 

Japan (also an empire that once practiced imperialism all over the Northeast Asia) and Germany, shed their post WWII infamy and are highly successful economies that are at the top of the global financial hierarchy.

The U.S., no longer able to build its economy on slavery, child labor and other forms of legally sanctioned exploitation (although there is still prison labor) has found its revenue streams have fallen, as it would when you have to pay an actual wage.

As for The Saudis and the Israelis.

Crown Prince MbS and Benjamin Netanyahu are each contributing to instability in the Middle East which is threatening to spread into other parts of the world. 

The kingdom of S.A. and the Israeli governments have now become strange bedfellows in their enmity with Iran. From what I've read it seems both governments are looking toward the possibility of war with Iran because they are relying on their ally, the United States to help them fight any battle.  With the U.S. extracting itself from the agreement with Iran, this is one step closer to becoming a realistic possibility, especially with a loose cannon like John Bolton at the helm.

Also Netanyahu likely needs to put fear in the hearts of Israel citizens to detract away from yet another corruption trial, just in case the people were finally ready to toss him out on his keyster. As we see from Trump supporters, fear works wonders.

By the way, it's going to be interesting to find out who paid Black Cube to go after the two Obama officials (through their spouses which is pretty heinous).

Speaking of corruption and fear...

Russia also stands to benefit and who says their election tampering is over?  There's always the midterms. It's a possibility that they've perfected their approach, especially with the current administration which tends to be very compliant toward Russian oligarchs.

The Trump administration's only plan (as far as I can see) is to keep riding the wave of kakistocracy and line their pockets full of cash.  A kind of"Get Rich or Get Impeached While Trying" plan. 

Reading about Novartis and AT&T throwing millions of dollars that likely ended up in one of Cohen's shady LLCs with no reasonable or sensible explanation, tells much of the story of what this administration's plan is.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I should have been clearer I was talking specifically about the Iran deal.

At the end of the day of course you are correct. Lobbyists are allowed, foreign influence. I'm forever conflicted about the Saudi's. They are the worst human rights abusers in the middle east, were the main funders of the terrorists behind 9/11, yet somehow are still the US's greatest ally in the middle east outside of Israel. And Netanyahu who has been trying to peddle the idea that Iran is in violation of the agreement was also the one behind the lie about the WMD's in Iraq. We choose to listen versus verify because it just confirms what those in influential roles want to happen anyway.