Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I find myself thinking this fairly frequently.  I grew up admiring people in academia and there weren't any nut jobs at my undergrad college, but there are some nuts out there, often at bigger schools where they can fly under the radar.  It took me too long to realize people can be book smart and still totally off the rails. 

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

This kind of crackpottery was ALWAYS out there. My father worked with the space program. I can't tell you how many times he held his tongue when dealing with someone who thought the moon landing was faked.

Unfortunately the internet has been an incubator for this kind of thing. People can create a whole world where their delusions are reflected back to them. 

• Members

I had a professor that was a Harvard grad and doctorate and he was certifiable.  It took me a whole semester to figure out - he's not just making mistakes in lectures, just to see if someone notices and dares to correct him...he's really screwing up.  I had gotten 2 A's on exams during the Semester, and then on the Final I "failed", and I got a C in the class.  Many of the questions were the same as on the 2 smaller exams, and I answered them the same way - on the Final he wrecked me on everything.  I went to the department chair and got it overturned.  Someone told me - he favors the students who he's an advisor to - if he's not your advisor he will ensure the best you get will be a C or lucky - a B.  That proved to me - crazy is out there and so is unfairness.   

Edited by Fevuh