The Politics Thread

• Members

He was able to challenge Northam's positions without tearing him down and putting him through a purity test. Go figure.

I predict Northam takes this comfortably. There is no enthusiasm for Gillespie and he almost lost to the racist Stewart who has spent half the campaign playing dress up at Antebellum-era themed balls. The NOVA voters in Arlington, Fairfax, Loudon, and Prince William counties have turned hard against the Republicans. Virginia is a blue state on the gubernatorial and presidential level at this point. 

ETA: I'm not shedding any tears for Steve "David Duke without the baggage" Scalise. 

Edited by Eric83

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The story of two asylum seekers who were detained by ICE as they waited for their asylum hearings at the USCIS buildings.

Torture Victim, Expecting a U.S. Handshake, Was Given Handcuffs Instead

First he celebrated the House passing the abominable AHCA, now he calls it "mean".  This guy is all over the place!

Please register in order to view this content

Trump, in Zigzag, Calls House Republicans’ Health Bill ‘Mean’

Business, not America is what really comes first, don't you think? 

Donald Trump gets preliminary approval for new China trademarks

• Members

Same. The right wing is about to discover the uncomfortable truth that the gun manufacturers will happily sell weapons to left-wing crackpots as right-wing ones. They don't care if the bullet gets caught by Steve Scalise or Trayvon Martin. It's all about the $$$.

• Members

It's sad but it's going to take someone being successful many many times before they change.  The NRA has too much power over the Republican party.  As I was watching this morning I said out loud - yep, if you'd only had a ton of guns you could have protected yourselves, right?  You need more guns, more AK47s, more of everything.  And let 8 year olds buy them too....that's what you need.  Less regulation, no background checks, all of it.  More more more.  Bring on more guns and see what it gets you. 

I'm sorry to be so callous but - there was not a ton of outcry when it was Gabby Giffords.  All you heard from them was that gun regulation isn't the answer.  It's never the answer to them.  So it's awful that it happened, but I never understand the argument that - if we just teach people the right way to own guns and to be responsible, none of this would happen.  Well - the Sandy Hook shooter knew how to use a gun.  So did this guy.  Educating crazy people isn't the answer - keeping the guns out of their hands is.  And that party doesn't really want anything to do with that, so you're right - they reap what they sew.  On message boards I read posts like, "of course it's crazy Liberals!"  Well that's interesting considering we're the ones that want more regulation...now you're upset that one used a gun?

• Members

I find the shooting of an elected official disturbing under (almost) all circumstances. I agree this won't help gun control though. I feel it's lost cause for at least a decade. If little kids getting gunned down at school didn't change hearts and minds this won't either.

• Members

Not only this  (which is bad enough) but the parents and loved ones of the Sandy Hook elementary victims are repeatedly harrassed across social media by these "hoaxers".  I reported one a few days ago.

Apparently there's been another shooting at a UPS?  Madness!

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I read (I think I posted it weeks ago) an article with a father who spends most of his time fighting these hoaxers - he even helped get one fired from his job as a professor (how scary is that that this man was a professor). He said he never thought this was what he'd be dealing with after he lost his son. He and his wife split up and she and their other children have repeatedly had to move because of harassment. 

This is what we've become. Or maybe it's what we've always been and we were just naive.