Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It's been interesting seeing the right wing try to come up with ways to downplay or discredit the anger over Grenfell - some have tried to mostly blame the people who are upset for taking their anger out on Theresa May. Others have claimed the angry residents have been "taken over" by far left anarchists. Others are trying to spread likely false claims that Jeremy Corbyn voted against sprinklers being put in old buildings, to play the "both sides are bad" game. They are looking for reasons to make sure they don't have to actually feel bad for what happened (especially since most of those affected weren't white).

I guess that's still a step up from the US, where most people wouldn't even pretend to care, and would just say more should have died. 

Theresa May seems like one of those people who got where she is through the slow and steady game, not through being suitable for the public. The Tories devoured each other over Brexit and she and that Andrea Leadsom woman (who was very far right compared to what was seen as a more moderate May, and also made a crass comment about May being incapable of governing because she was childless) were the main ones who stood for the PM role. And then with the Tory-supporting press in her corner because she wanted a hard Brexit, she seemed unstoppable, but she was just too tin-eared and cold in her proposals, in dealing with the public, etc. I imagine she is just being kept on for the Brexit negotiations and then will be shoved out. 

• Members

I adore the guy. He IMO comes across very genuine. Piece of trivia, his uncle is John Kander of Kander and Ebb, the songwriting team that penned Cabaret, Chicago and did a lot of work with Liza Minnelli over the years.

Off Topic

No where near of fan of Bret Stephens( disliked him immensely with the WSJ and he is the reason I finally cut the cord with my NYT subscription) but this Op-Ed piece is spot on. Finally one thing I agree with him on. And don't let the title turn you off.

Only Mass Deportation can save America

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

I may sound pessimistic, but I think Karen "I do not support a living wage" Handel will take this. Georgia, when push comes to shove, consistently goes red. I realize Trump won by a small margin, but...he still won.

The only upside is, this seat has been Republican for decades, anyway. And while "close but no cigar" means nada, I still consider the fact this race being so close is a win in and of itself considering past history.

• Members

I wouldn't be surprised if Russia were secretly happy about the reversal of the U.S.' Cuba policy as it will be yet another country that Russia can tilt toward its sphere of influence.

Russia slams Trump's 'Cold War' policy on Cuba

Interesting interview on video with an analyst on Cuba from just before the announcement of the rollback of Obama's détente policy was made.

Oh yeah, as a surprise to no one, Macron's LREM Party wins the majority of seats in the National Assembly.

projection-sieges-21h-en.png

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I felt like early last week Ossoff seemed to have some momentum now it's back to IMO dead even.

They had Bernie come out and endorse him. I am not saying this because I am not a fan of Bernie's, but it reeks of desperation and Bernie's issues are not the issues that will win this district.

But Georgia is a state that many in the state felt was winnable in 2016 had the dems invested in it. There are large numbers of younger people who have moved into the state so I guess the question is how many reside in this district and will they vote?