The Politics Thread

• Members

I wouldn't read the whole article. It's really pessimistic. I just wanted you to know you aren't the only person who wakes up every day with a heavy heart. I'm going to try to take President Obama's advice and stop mourning by Thanksgiving, but I will never accept Trump as normal. He is a blight on the republic.

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm so glad that Newsweek finally dropped the oppo research on Sanders. People treated him with kid gloves and his fanboys need to understand just how much of a pass he was given. The fact that Newsweek waited until after the election was a favor to him. I could already see him thinking that he was going to use this loss to increase his profile and help him in his re-election bid. He was treated like he was untouchable and clearly began to believe it. Hopefully this article was a reality check.

• Members

I would say that a lot of these jobs are in various forms of engineering (computer, bio) and other STEM sectors and not everyone has the brains for it.  Some of the health care jobs we need such as elder care are low paying and high stress. Similar to daycare where people are also underpaid.

• Members

It's funny how over the past decade, it's either about Millennials or the Baby Boomers but last year I read a study that said that Generation X-ers often did the most volunteer work and were the most generous to charity compared to all groups.  Yet, Generation X-ers also seem to have the hardest time financially overall, in terms of debt, primarily from higher education and jobs that have not matched our skills. Nobody seems to pay attention to us. I don't know why.

• Members

I agree with part of this but this is a failure of our educational system. We have fallen behind for years in Science and Mathematics and there are really know formal plans in place to compete. This comes from someone me who was a math and technology major in college and worked in the tech industry for a long while before moving into education. I see how deficient our education is particularly in math, and surprisingly girls are still encouraged away from it(there were not a lot of women graduates when I graduated from Univ of Ill with a degree in Math and Minor in Information technology), and people wonder why we are behind and our population does not have the "brains" for it.

There are trades that require good solid math and analytical skills also. Heck my nephew is now working for a company that does repairs on municipality equipment and he barely skated through math in high school. He needed math skills. Fortunately the company he works for provided education credits for him recognizing his potential, he went and boosted his math, technology, and analytical skills, and he's now working with a good job. Jobs like auto mechanics now called auto technicians also require perhaps different analytical skills than before due to more computerization in automobiles and the equipment used for diagnosis and in some case repair. I think part of the problem perhaps is the fact that we no longer prepare students education wise for careers outside of pursuing a college education. There used to be a lot of vocational training in high school. A lot of that is gone.

The healthcare field is one where the projection long term is for more and more growth. Caregiviers are desperately needed and yes underpaid. But healthcare is also an industry where more skilled personnel are needed. Technicians, nursing assistants are fields where vocational type schooling is the basis.

• Members

@JaneAusten I'll agree with you that education in STEM subjects have been a problem for a long time. I remember my chemistry teacher complaining about 20+ years ago. At the same the average IQ is 100. You aren't going to make a math major or an engineer out of that no matter how good your educational system is. So sure, we need to make the most of the potential we have in this country, but I think it's an obvious area where immigration can solve some of our needs.

Edited by Juliajms