Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well, I stopped watching it for over a year, and only started again last October, and the show has changed a lot. The day-to-day episodes are much more watchable and enjoyable. Characters motivations are clearer, stories have better aftermaths and reactions, and there is comedy that flows through the show, again, something that was basically annihilated in 2012.

I keep reading how people expect the show to be like the climax to Cameron's story every week, sometimes every episode, under appreciating the slower paced, more character centred episodes. I quite like the episodes that give the impression that more is happening than what actually is. There have been some really great scenes between Cain & Moira, and Cain has really developed a lot in the last few months. I love Moira and Vanessa's friendship, it has a genuine feeling about it. I think they've done a great job with Declan's downfall, and I'm liking Charity's revenge. I loved Leyla the first time round, so it's so awesome having her back, stirring the pot for David & Alicia, who I'm happy are finally married; throw in Priya's pregnancy and her developing eating disorder, and you have a lot of story scope. Jimmy & Nicola, Bernice, Diane, Zak, etc, are still great. Ashley has been saved - major kudos to Kate Oates for that - and new character Harriet is a breath of fresh air - she's very different, kinda off the wall, in some ways.

The show isn't perfect. The Bartons are OK, but not overly great (I'm disappointed Finn is gay, as it means Victoria gets overlooked again, at the chance of a story. Plus, the gangster stuff they brought to the farm was terrible, and Papa Barton is dull); Val is still vile and Maurel still suck. Dom & Gemma are spare parts - they seriously lack direction and purpose). Amy's exit was terrible - in fact that whole story with Amy trying to get custody of Kyle from Joanie, got old real fast, especially with how badly Amy, Kerry and Val treated and vilified that poor woman.

There's a lot to like and appreciate, especially considering the mess the show was in during 2012.

I'm hoping Belle doesn't get pregnant. That would be too predictable. Surely there must be other story options that doesn't result in a teen pregnancy? I really don't want any Maurel drama - I'd be happy to see them quietly slip away.

Edited by Ben

• Members

It wouldn't really make sense for Donna to return. Her relationship with Marlon was dead by the time she left, and her entire family, except her two small half-siblings, is gone from the show. (I'm still bitter about them killing of Viv by the way). Of course that won't stop them from bringing her back if they want to.

The one person I would have liked to see back, if I was still watching, would be Robert. That he wasn't there to support Victoria when Jack died was unbelievable.

Another blast from the past they could bring back could be Sam Skilbeck, son of Matt and Dolly. He left the show with his mother when he was only 8-9 years old, so he would be a blank canvas, yet at the same time a link to the old Emmerdale. He would be in his early thirties now and could have a family of his own. With him back they could also have Matt and Dolly make the occasional appearance, but only if Frederick Pyne and Jean Rogers played them. No re-casting thank you very much. Ok, Katharine Barker would be ok as well for Dolly since she originated the role before Jean took over.

But this will naturally never happen. I doubt they even remember the Skilbecks now.

• Members

Please, no child. Sometimes the story warrants it, and sometimes it's a change of dynamic for the characters. Other times, it's predictable tosh. Donna returning with Marlon's kid would be the latter.

Marlon & Laurel have 3 kids linked to them already. They do not need another child cluttering up their lives. Also, the show already did this plot with Kelly/Jimmy/Nicola, when Kelly returned with Jimmy's offspring a couple of years ago.

Hopefully, they've come up with a better reason for Donna returning.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...