EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

As for Janine, she was a really fascinating character for a long time, she was a Daddy's girl, then after he left she fell further into disrepute, first using other older men as surrogate fathers and fleecing them, then becoming a prostitute, getting beaten up, Ian Beale being one of her clients. She bounced back when she helped split up car dealer Barry Evans and his wife Natalie. Natalie was having an affair with Janine's brother Ricky. Then Barry's father died and Barry was all alone. Janine slowly got closer to him and everything sped up when he thought he was dying. They went to Scotland to marry. They did. Then Barry learned he wasn't actually dying. Janine was furious and they ended up on a cliff where she goaded him and he fell down a cliff.

She then had a very ugly feud with Ian's ex-wife Laura. This culminated in Laura falling to her death, accidentally, after Janine left her home. Pat, Barry's mother-in-law and Laura's close friend, knew Janine was innocent, but kept quiet, as she thought Janine deserved to pay for what she did to Barry, which she hadn't been punished for.

The story ended with Janine's father Frank Butcher, the love of Pat's life, returning to convince her to come forward and clear Janine's name. Frank was waiting for Janine to be released, only to learn that she already had been and had left before he even got there.

Here's some fighting between the two ladies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA5SERqe1wY&feature=related

There's a clip on the BBC channel of Laura throwing hot milk on Janine's face, but that clip sounds a lot better than it really was (aside from the funny moment where Janine smacks the back of Laura's head).

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I always rooted for Janine against Laura.

Ugh, Laura was just an annoying little loser.

There were some great Pat/Janine scenes leading up to Janine's arrest for Laura's murder, too. They don't explore Pat and Janine's relationship enough anymore.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I think this scene was the only time Kat and Janine mixed it up, which is funny, they were both in everyone's faces during this time period.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uy53or1ino&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uy53or1ino&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uy53or1ino&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• Members

He's probably right.

I think we may have scared Amello off :lol:

You already summed the episode up well but I enjoyed it. This was supposed to be Zoe Lucker's last episode, if she hadn't signed a longer contract, right? This was the first one I thought she clicked in. She and Max had very easy chemistry this time around (not sure I want to know what she was doing under the table). The scene where she was drying her hair in the kitchen and the scene where they were laughing about opening the wine bottle had an intimacy which most soap couples don't. I just don't buy that he would still want Tanya, especially since Tanya continues to use her children as weapons and continues to throw herself at men.

Abby as a brat is very annoying. Her attitude stinks. Figures just as Lauren is showing a little more personality she's out the door.

I guess EE's claim to not having a stereotypical disabled character can be backed up now. Adam is just vile. And the way he kisses, the lunging forward, it's not fun to watch.

I felt sorry for Libby, even though I shouldn't have. The whole thing with Darren and a picnic in the park was a bit crazy (made better by him almost choking, so it wasn't too much of a fantasy date). The time I started getting angry with Libby was when she cried racism. WTF?

I'm surprised Lucas doesn't talk to Libby about her chest falling out of her blouse. Speaking of Lucas, that scene where he shamed Patrick into not letting Liz stay overnight was very good. This type of stuff works so much better than Lucas killing people. And poor Denise can't confide in Chelsea anymore.

I felt sorry for Janine, being treated like dirt by Ryan.

The rivalry between Glenda and Peggy is a lot of fun. And Glenda's awful comments to Pat. :lol:

• Members

My fave is the one where Janine tells Pat that she once spent hours scratching her name into the wall with her nails until they bled. Of course Pat doesn't believe her and applauds her for her Oscar winning performance! Then later as Janine is being led away we get to see that Janine did indeed scratch her name into the wall.

I hated Janine with a passion right up until those scenes. now I quite like her but I do think she is being wasted.

Then four years later Janine was able to show Pat the carving on the wall :)

Edited by Dion

• Members

Today's episode was a superbly acted episode.

I liked the scenes in the beginning with Max, Abi, and Lauren, and their awkward meeting with Vanessa. Lauren's exit sure is low key though, but she's hardly been on this year, so I didn't expect anything big for it.

Does Vanessa have OCD? That's what I got when she went into her house and started fixing the order the shoes and the ornaments in her house. I found her relationship with Harry very intense and interesting. I wonder if she'll kill him eventually.

I'm really glad we got some Janine and Pat scenes, it's been a while. They have a really complicated relationship and it's always nice to see them interact. Pat and Peggy scenes were great too.

The Max and Tanya scenes were intense, and wonderfully acted by Jo Joyner and Jake Wood. Jo Joyner looks great.

Jean (to Becca): How long do you think you'll be staying here Becca? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stacey and Ryan's scenes were great. I felt so bad for Stacey when Dot came in the room and told her that the baby looked so much like Bradley.

I think Stacey wanted to tell Ryan at the end that he's the baby's father but Dot's comments about Bradley and Mo telling her Ryan and Janine was lovey-dovey in the hallway stopped her.

I kind of feel bad for Janine when Ryan dumped her at the end, but she kind of brought it on herself anyway.

I also thought it's fitting that Stacey had a girl, since the Slater family is dominated by women outside of Charlie and Sean.

Becca is psycho, she acts like she owns Stacey. I think Stacey is getting fed up with her too. did you see the look on Stacey's face when Becca tried to take the baby from her? I wonder if Becca is going to kidnap that child.

I also thought it was a good use of Julia's Theme. Now, I wonder if they'll give Stacey Julia's Theme again when she leaves at the end of the year. I think Peggy will get it for sure, but after getting it in this episode with her baby, they might not use it for her again.

• Members

Alvin, I totally thought of you Janine showed up at the Vic and started talking to Pat.

Anyways, I totally agree with you on everything. This episode was F UCKING AWESOME from beginning to end. This is soap opera.

Kind of sad the girl who plays Lauren is gone, I liked her.

Best of all though, EastEnders gave me a wonderful birthday present. A wet Ryan is a Ryan I enjoy IMMENSELY.