EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

The positives of the episode:

Once they got past the dull yelling in the rain and actually got to the hospital, Stacey's birthing scenes were extremely effective. Smart writing choice to shift the focus onto Stacey's shame and guilt and how it threatens her future. Lacey did a wonderful job in those scenes and when put in a minimal role, Ryan was fine. The use of Julia's Theme was more than appropriate and really added the right amount of poignancy. The constant reminders of Bradley were heartbreaking, not only because Stacey finally realized just how much she ruined Bradley's life, but because the comments which were meant well, like Dot saying the baby has Bradley's eyes or saying she wanted to put up a photo of Bradley, were just twisting the knife. Finally, for at least one episode, the enormity of Stacey's lies and Stacey's murder of Archie came back in a big way.

The scenes in the Vic were great. The sense of community without a lot of clowning around is something I've really missed on the show in recent years. Pat and Peggy were of great use, whether it was talking about childbirth, about Bradley, or the refreshingly layered moment between Pat and Janine.

The Golds. I think they have a lot of potential. I am becoming more and more interested in Vanessa, thanks to her chemistry with Max and the glimpses at her private life. Harry has a menace about him but he's not an over the top figure, they're taking their time. Jodie I still like, I think she has so far been played as someone who is bubbly and accepting but not "thick." Of course going on about how gorgeous Darren is might make her seem a bit silly but it's nice to see a sweet character who doesn't go around messing up words to show us how "cute" she is. She's sort of what they tried to do with Preeti. I still think they could have done more with Preeti.

The stuff I didn't care as much for:

Tanya and that overfamiliar SMIRK of hers as soon as she walked onscreen. Nothing ever changes with this character. Oh Max, I'm a good parent, you're not. Nothing says good parenting like trying to murder her husband, taking up with psycho Sean, the games she played with her daughters regarding Bradley's funeral, et al. Oh Max, I've found (yet another) love of my life, and he's so much better than you are. Wasn't this the same crap she said when she was with Jack? Tanya cannot live even a moment without a man. I cannot take any more of Max making puppy dog eyes at "Tan." When this character comes back for good I wish they would make drastic changes to her and to her relationship with Max.

Spending so many of Lauren's scenes remembering that she ran her father over. I actually wonder if this is one of the main reasons why she is being recast. What an awful writing choice that was.

I think this has to be the end of the line for Ryan and Janine. He has behaved like he has a split personality with how he acts towards her. He wants her to be good, yet he indulges her in her stupid schemes, time and time again. Now suddenly he says he was wrong and she's not good underneath so she has to go. Ryan just wants to have Janine around so he can feel morally superior to her. Ryan is one of those "I'm a good person because I say so" types of characters, and his sanctimoniousness oozes off the screen. If they want to rush towards a Stacey/Ryan relationship then they should have started this months ago, instead of having the silly bet stuff.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Carl takes Tanya hate to a whole new level. :) It's as if she did something to him.

I detest her, but not this much. :lol:

Jane is another b!tch that needs to be written out. Ever since Grant Mitchell left she's been useless and a pain.

Ross Kemp ain't comin' back, right?

Edited by Sylph

• Members

I don't think Ryan and Stacey will be paired with Lacey leaving at the end of the year. If it does happen, it will be short-term.

I think the best thing is to keep them close and develop a friendship that doesn't cross the line. Stacey is going to need a friend when she finally sees what a psycho Becca really is. I wonder if this episode is foreshadowing Becca kidnapping or harming Stacey's baby.

With Kat/Alfie coming back, Becca will have to kicked out of that house to Jean's liking. :lol: Maybe that can trigger something.

I do wonder if she'll leave without telling him he's the father though. Or maybe she tells him shortly before she leaves?

Harry and Vanessa have an intriguing relationship judging by this episode. It appears that they're both equally nasty to one another in very different ways. Harry's abuse seems to be more psychological, while Vanessa seems to intentionally do things to piss him off and indulges in affairs too. They have a sort of Den/Angie-like dynamic to them in the sense that both seem to be destructive towards one another.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

The best thing with Den and Angie was the humor. I don't know if we'll ever get that again. But I think Harry and Vanessa have a very interesting relationship. There's something about that family, because he gives the appearance of letting his wife and daughter do what they want but underneath the reins are held close. I hope people will give them a chance, as I've already seen a lot of writing Vanessa off because they think she's just repeating her Footballers Wives character.

I think Ryan and Stacey will have a brief relationship, or almost have one, but then Stacey will have to leave. They are suddenly changing it to where Ryan loves Stacey but I don't think Stacey feels the same way about him. I think Ryan will eventually learn about her killing Archie and will let her leave so he can protect her and his child.

The problem is I don't see what is left for Ryan. The stuff with Janine pretty much died for good with this episode, if you ask me.

Perhaps they should have him leave with Stacey.

Becca's definitely going to go nuts at some point. I wonder if she might end up causing Charlie's death.

• Members

I don't think Ross is ever coming back.

I was actually trying to be restrained about Tanya. :lol: I just cannot stand the smugness. This character has no reason to be smug, considering her background and the circumstances of her relationships, yet it is her default mode. If they actually explored that, fine, but instead, it's usually just bedhopping.

• Members

I wonder if these hour long episodes help the ratings a lot. EastEnders has been holding its own during the World Cup this year so far, while Corrie and Emmerdale haven't been fairing so well. They're all down a bit, but EastEnders is closer to its normal range than the other shows.

I think it's quite amazing that the show managed to pull in over 7 million against a World Cup match and then pull over 1 million viewers on the BBC3 repeat. Also, keep in mind, the show isn't even airing in its normal timeslot for the most part during the World Cup.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/news/a232616/soaps-ratings-roundup-june-23.html

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

Considering that this was one of the biggest episodes of the year, and that Eastenders usually benefits from more consistent scheduling than Corrie and a later timeslot than Emmerdale, I actually thought the ratings would have been a bit higher. There was some talk in DS's ratings thread the day before about how Eastenders did so much better than Emmerdale around that timeslot and people just must be more interested -- yet when the ratings for EE's Wednesday's episode came out there was very little discussion of them, people either said nothing or were upset that the ratings were lower than expected.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Wednesday's episode started earlier at 7PM.

The show was against and beat a World Cup match on ITV, this was as good as it was going to do. The fact that they got over 7 million with that kind of clash and started an extra 30 minutes earlier than it usually does is very good. Also, the over 1 million viewers that tuned into to the BBC3 repeat was very impressive as the show wasn't even that low in its original airing. Also, considering the show doesn't normally air on Wednesday's either.

Both Corrie and Emmerdale received their lowest ratings of the year this World Cup season, EastEnders ratings have been consistent and even beating the World Cup matches it was against on several occasions.

The show wasn't going to do much better than this, even if it was a hyped up episode, they've been scoring within the same range and their normal range this World Cup season, the other soaps really haven't.

The World Cup match EastEnders clashed with actually gained viewers after the clash period was over, even though EastEnders got more total viewers for the night, so I think this was always as good as they were going to rate.

http://mediatel.co.uk/newsline/2010/06/24/tv-overnights-bbc-ones-eastenders-outshines-the-football-once-again/

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I sort of agree with you on this. While i would be great to see Grant again (He is my all time favourite character on EE) but where could his story go ? He could be apart of Peggy`s exit and could be a support system for Phil`s drug addiction. But i doubt Grant can be used for stories again. Unless Courtney starts rebelling and does teen antics.

• Members

I guess this is another example of how some EE fans tend to overhype the show and how they make it more difficult for expectations to be met. Until I read your post I didn't know these would be seen as good ratings. When I read Digital Spy this morning the ratings were either not talked about or were framed as being low or disappointing for the show, some of that by EE fans. This after time spent the day before talking about how the lower ratings for Emmerdale proved people don't care about watching Emmerdale and Eastenders has done great. So the very sudden stop to that talk made me wonder what had happened.