EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Today's episode:

The Lucas and Denise scenes were intense when he revealed he killed Owen. Such a brilliant acting job from Diane Parish, too bad it will probably go unnoticed. Don Gilet was great too.

This episode also showed how battered emotionally Denise has been in this marriage. Even after Lucas confessed, she was willing to lie to "save" her marriage and keep Lucas.

Peggy is pathetic planting that lie about Glenda telling Amy rotten things about Archie so Roxy would get upset. :lol:

I loved Glenda's line to Peggy about Sam being in prison and disowning her when Peggy was going off on her good parenting tangent.

Shirtless Ryan today. :wub:

I did like when Pat essentially told Ryan that he's no better than Janine. No matter their history and the stuff Janine's done, Pat will always have a soft spot for her, which I like.

And again, if there's any proof that Kirkwood hated the E20 teens, today's episode proved it again. They're so secondary supporting now that it's not funny. In the final weeks of the Santer era, they were hogging up all the airtime, not anymore.

I liked the stares exchanged by Liz and Denise at the end, no doubt Liz thinks Denise killed Owen.

• Members

Kat and Alfie's first meeting, Kat being a bitch to Janine in the middle of the clip, and stuff with Pat defending Janine to everyone in the Vic.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xwoY-mozas&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xwoY-mozas&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xwoY-mozas&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

• Members

So they'll own the pub or will it still be owned by Mitchells?

One of the longtime fans talked about how the Vic used to be a place of life and vitality during the years Sharon was in charge and when Chrissie Watts was in charge, and how that has faded over time. They weren't sure of Alfie being back because they were afraid he would also be a humdrum presence. I do think there's potential for a lively atmosphere with Kat there. She seems like she wouldn't put up with nonsense and she can't just say "Get ourra ma pub" either.

That thing is evil. :ph34r:

Here is a shot of Jessie Wallace as Pat Phoenix:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/scoop/a236522/location-pics-bbc-fours-corrie-drama.html

• Members

I really liked the atmosphere at the Vic when Peggy was away and Alfie and Kat were basically running the place. I thought they really brought a sense of fun to that place, which it hadn't had in a while.

I also loved it when Sharon was there in her 2001 return, perhaps the best return ever. I LOVED Chrissie! I loved how Kat taunted her ass towards the end, and when Sharon punched her in the airport. There was so much fun black humour poured into that character. She was probably the best thing about Den's return.

I hope Alfie gets to interact with Peggy before she leaves, I always liked their relationship.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I also think this is the perfect place for Kat and Alfie to return to. The Vic will get them to interact with a host of different characters, which they'll need, since so many are gone from the time they were on the show.

I hope they keep Shirley on staff at the Vic, and her and Kat develop a friendship.

I wonder if Mo will move in with them, and the old Slater house will be used for a new family, since Charlie, Stacey, and Jean are leaving.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I agree with you that Diane Parish probably won't get any real praise or notice for her work as Denise, which is too bad. I think people just say well she's always good, and shrug it off, or they only see Denise as being a shouty caricature. She's done an amazing job these past few months, once the story began focusing on her. I think the strongest scenes in the episode were the ones where she suddenly started throwing the booze out and telling Libby they had to support Lucas and his beliefs. When Libby disagreed, Denise just froze her out. Denise has made her entire world about Lucas and has nothing left of herself. There is so much material here to explore if they keep her around. She doesn't need her family.

Was the woman at the church yesterday supposed to be the same character Denise and Bianca tangled with back around January, the one Bianca sent on a wild goose chase?

Didn't Owen tell Liz that he thought Lucas had killed Trina? Does she only blame Denise?

I liked that they had Ronnie react to Owen's death. Those little things mean a lot to a story and a community.

Jordan really just can't act.

I don't care about the teens and I think that a supporting role is likely the most bearable Zsa Zsa would be but I did like that they had Leon talk about his mother's death. That type of thing should have been done many months ago if they wanted viewers to care about him.

Peggy truly is desperate to use little Amy for such a lie. I hope she is exposed soon.

The stuff with Pat and Ryan was good, I'm happy they are involving her more in Janine's life, and yeah, Ryan looked very good today.

Speaking of bare chests,

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

The show did very well in the ratings last night, especially compared to the other soaps. Some were also saying BBC didn't even advertise the show at all yesterday, or not enough, so these ratings are impressive.

Corrie's ratings in particular were horrendous yesterday.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/news/a236825/soaps-ratings-roundup-july-1.html

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

That's nice to know. I know some Eastenders fans insist actors from other soaps are insecure and lash out at Eastenders and so on -- at least Lyndon doesn't.

I think people might be overhyping this fire a bit, but then I might still be thinking of the Dog in the Pond fire, which was one of the best soap disasters ever and nothing can ever really compare to that for me.

I guess you've already heard this, but

I know I've criticized Kirkwood's last year at Hollyoaks and am not entirely sure about where Eastenders will go after the past few years, but I must say so far Kirkwood has been doing a very good job. We don't know about all his future plans, but most of the casting changes he's been involved with have made sense, most of the stories are improving or at least seem more balanced, so does the pacing and the community feel, and the future stories that we've heard about, while some don't do a lot for me, there are some potentially great things and nothing horrendous. I think I took for granted some of what Kirkwood, and Paul Marquess at Hollyoaks, were doing, until I started reading horrifying storyline after storyline after storyline for Corrie over the past month.

• Members

We won't see Kirkwood's actual storylines go into effect until late August/early September, so I think we'll have a more accurate picture of the direction the show is going in by November or so.

But there's been noticeable tonal changes on the show and in Santer's storylines since Kirkwood took over. The episodes feel more character driven and the humour feels more natural and not as forced as it was sometimes before. Some characters, like the E20 gang aren't being forced on the audience anymore and are playing a wiser supporting role, which is how it should have been done months ago. The show does feel in a way like it's going back to some basics.

As for the fire, I think they needed something to realistically bring down The Vic so that they could rebuild it for the HD transition and people would know why. They can't use the old Vic set since its too old and would look really bad in HD. The Vic is the most essential hub in the square, so it had to be center of this stunt. But I also think it will serve as a catalyst for other stories to follow.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner