EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah, York had the Slaters.

Berridge had, what, the Millers, and the Ferrieras, and the modern version of the Watts.

Harwood brought in new extensions of the Brannings (which was something of a success) and the Wicks (generally a big flop).

Santer, how long did he wait until he brought in a new family, I guess it was until late 2007, with the Masoods. And then he basically rewrote the Mitchells to suit his purposes, or someone at the show did.

Kirkwood waited 4-5 months to start bringing in the McQueens and the Valentines, didn't he? I guess with so many cast departures he may have the luxury of not waiting as long this time around.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Ronnie and Roxy are both one-note characters, both very plot-driven, and they heavily rely on plot being churned out constantly, with no real effort to ever flesh them out. Santer or Treadwell Collins or whoever seemed very leery of actually giving any character any depth -- for the past few years it has been that same one note pounded again and again.

Ronnie is supposed to be the "serious" one but her stories have become so short-sighted and there seems to be little to do for her because they are running from actually exploring her. Roxy is the "fun" one but fun = SHOUTING EVERY LINE, and this "fun" character has often behaved monstrously, with no real fallout, ever.

There are a lot of characters over the past few years who could be easily written out, although I doubt they will be, since the show has managed to sell them as big stars.

I do think there's potential for Ronnie, mostly because of Sam Janus, if the show ever makes the effort.

• Members

These scenes have some very good, more subtle acting from Jessie Wallace, showing the more vulnerable side of Kat, and how her reputation haunts her. She tells Alfie, when they first start dating, about the number of men she's been with. Several days later, he falsely believes she slept with her ex, Anthony, and says as much to her at a fancy dinner, adding that if she hadn't slept with Anthony it would have been someone else. Kat tries to cover up how hurt she is by how he sees her, and thanking him for their time together, leaves the meal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-Qx56LD4IY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuAfR3PRcZQ

• Members

EastEnders is like instant coffee: you put the powder in the cup, pour hot water over it and you're done. Unless Kirkwood changes the way things are done and brings someone else instead of Dominic. Which won't happen until Yorke says it needs to happen.

• Members

That's interesting. I know some fans have felt the show is now relying too much on Ashdown as many other strong writers like Phelps and Jordan have gone, as there were some views that the most recent "big" episodes he wrote, like the Stax two-hander and the Bianca/Ricky wedding, didn't live up to hype. It might be a good idea for them to give him more input with new characters like they are doing with Vanessa, especially since his favorite, Stacey is leaving. Isn't she his favorite?

• Members

It should be interesting to see how Dominic works with Kirkwood. They'll be a change in the way things play out on-screen, there always is.

Santer had many good qualities that I don't think people are keen to acknowledge often, but I never thought he properly understood story and how to craft serial drama. I think a lot of the story problems and failure of the basics were down to him during his tenure.