EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

I liked Laura, I sympathized with the underdogs or the miserable types I guess, but she could be very annoying.

There was a real fearlessness and a grit to Janine back then which isn't there these days, she is often too ridiculous to take seriously now. I think John Yorke and then Louise Berridge did a fantastic job of building Janine up into a real force of fury, one who never became too panto and who, even as she was always an outsider, never seemed like a spare part.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've liked the fun side of Janine with Ryan over the past few months, but Santer and team have largely misunderstood the character. I don't know if she'll ever go back to who she was in the early 00's...

I think she could again, if she finds out Stacey's baby is Ryan's and feel threatened for a while. It could lead to some type of desperate breakdown. they need to stop playing Janine for laughs though, she and her self-destructiveness need to be taken more seriously.

Maybe she needs to push someone else off a cliff or go back to prostitution? :lol:

• Members

The thing with Janine is she needs to build as a character. If you look at her from 2000-2004 or whenever she left, she had an arc which built and built and built. She hit rock bottom, then she became increasingly conniving and got money and power, then she crashed again.

I think she's OK at the moment, because she's away from the stories about the Mitchells making her look stupid, and I do enjoy her with Ryan when they're having fun, but I think for her to really work as a character they need to figure out who she is. I don't mean having her yell at Pat or have her talk to Ricky about Frank, but I wish there were some way to reconnect who she was with what she is now and what she can be later on. Most of all I hope they make a decision to not treat her as a joke, because she's not a joke.

Finding out about Stacey's baby would probably be a good starting point. Since they are going with this stuff with the stupid bet she has regarding Lucas I wouldn't mind seeing her get deeper into that and starting a rivalry with Denise, and causing Lucas to go even further over the edge. That would also affect Patrick, and get Pat involved in the story.

• Members

Michelle Ryan thinking her career is hot sh!t again. :rolleyes:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a222138/ryan-enders-return-is-not-for-me.html

Not that I care for her to return, but with Kat back soon, it would make some sense for Zoe to come back. I hope they do eventually recast Zoe.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I have never liked Michelle Ryan, so I would be fine with Zoe being recast. I do think that she's just answering questions that are put on her, so I don't mind her comments so much.

There was a very negative reaction to this episode at various forums but I didn't think it was that bad. The show has been uneven for ages, and was even during the now halycon period of "let's have various characters stare at each other and get arrested every ten minutes and pass that off as a 'murder mystery'". Aside from the, as you mentioned, bizarre stuff with Abi, I thought the episode was fairly good. I do wish they wouldn't have Lucas go into preacher speak so much because it kind of comes across more like the writers picking passages out of the Bible than Lucas actually having religious fervor.

It was nice to hear them mention Nigel again. He was one of my favorite EE characters, he was so much fun yet his heart was in the right place. He was what they seemed to want Heather to be.

The Stacey/Ryan scenes were very good. Janine quoting the Bible to Lucas was amusing, especially when she looked up at the sky after he walked away.

They showed a lot more of Libby than they usually do, they were making a real effort with her, for a change. I'm not a big fan of that character but I like her as the voice of reason in the family (and I wish they could give her something beyond those hippie blouses with her breasts bouncing around). I also really liked the scene where Chelsea had to record a message for Jordan.

I skipped all the teen stuff, did you think it was any good? I'm still trying to figure out when Peter and Leon became friends.

• Members

I was watching an episode from late 2005 and this Juley Smith is so awful. The actor is weak and he is also very odd looking -- he looks like Scatman Crothers, or the guy who ran the hangout on A Different World. That's fine for them but he was supposed to be hot enough to tempt a gangster's daughter.

• Members

Well, his brother Gus would be high on the list.

Callum Monks

Billie Jackson

Minty Peterson

If his character doesn't manage to get to even one dimension and if the Masoods keep being damaged, Syed would be another.

Vicki Fowler

Mary and Conor Flaherty

Kevin Wicks

I'm sure there are a lot of others from 2004-2006 I haven't seen. Those from 2003 I have seen don't bother me as much as they bother a lot of other people (the cat lady, the Ferrieras), although Ronnie and Tariq are annoying.

Edited by CarlD2