EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

I don't want to see Zoe ever again, but I bet the reason they haven't recast the character is because the Kat/Zoe storyline and reveal was and still is very iconic. It was THE British soap moment of the 00's and the show has tried and failed miserably at trying to recreate it ever since with various other characters. 

I think the first time we saw Belinda was the week of the Kat/Zoe reveal where she showed up to Lynne's hen do. I can't remember if they mentioned her before that though. That was a great week of episodes - I've said it before, but, that era of the show was so strong and helped me get through a lot of things that were going on in my life at the time (by share entertainment and seeing people more screwed than people I knew). It will always have a special place in my heart.

EE hasn't been able to write families since the early years of the Slater's, so a family unit like that wouldn't be able to thrive on the show as it is currently. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There are rumors she didn't or doesn't get along with Steve McFadden and that they rarely interact onscreen as a result. That he tried to campaign to not bring her back. And that at the end of her first stint she was only close to two people - Charlie Brooks and Shane Richie.

Then there were claims that she slapped Hannah Waterman (Laura Beale) in the face at a Christmas party.

Supposedly she's not so bad now though.

• Members

A lot of the cast in those years has a trashy vibe and there were constant reports of feuding and fussing. I guess the show being a huge hit at that point didn't help, as the tabloids dug in, and did a lot of damage (just ask Steve McFadden and Lucy Benjamin).

You don't hear about that much now - the worst you hear is stuff like Whitney and one of the Moon brothers in an ice cream shop, or Fatboy or whoever else being suspended. I guess they know they can't get away with too much these days.

• Members

Elaine Lordan's problems were much wider, supposedly it was her cursing out Mal Young at a public event that got her fired in 2004. 

The show was so huge and popular back then, and Jessie and Kat seemed to become the public face of the show over night. I don't think she was prepared for all that attention and let the worst of that sudden success consume her. From 2001-2005, I swear she was on the cover of every UK tabloid I came across. Though, these days, she's a completely different person and seemed to learn from the experience of those initial years. 

• Members

The BBC really seems to be very invested in Kellie Bright and Danny Dyer - Strictly Come Dancing was so deadset on having Kellie and her Derek Hough-esque partner win that they wildly overscored them and trashed most of the other remaining competitors, and when they still lost, because they screech and dance like they're on bad coke, the judges went around saying she should have won and it's an outrage and so on.

Then there's Danny Dyer bragging about how he got to personally plan Mick's stag do, which I've rarely heard of on a soap.

If only any of this was validated by anything either of them display onscreen.

Edited by DRW50