Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Other than the one hard kick, that "beating" of Jason was surprisingly tame. I wonder if they were worried about complaints? Emmerdale has had some rougher stuff recently around the same timeslot or earlier - the beating scenes with Cain and Robert come to mind, as does Pete beating Ross to "death."

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Tristan Gemmill is quite a hunk but will there eventually be a point in bringing Robert to Weatherfield apart from rekindling his relationship with Tracy? I'd love it if it turned out that he was deeply in love with a relative of Charlie Stubbs and is going along with her master plan for him to woo Tracy and then dump her on their wedding day.

• Members

I found two more 2002 episodes I hadn't uploaded, and I thought this one might interest some here. It's the last episode for Maureen Lipman as Lillian Spencer, the fill-in character very hastily added to scripts due to Julie Goodyear's unexpected exit. The story of a fussy pub manageress and her idle children is a bit thin (and she isn't like Annie Walker at all, in spite of what some say), but it's entertaining enough, and she brings out the best in John Savident. 

The best part of this episode is Blanche grieving the end of her relationship with Archie, and grieving being so old and pathetic. Blanche was so often written as a caricature in Maggie Jones' last stint on Corrie that I was startled to see an episode that has so much of the "old" Blanche peeking through - the one I vastly preferred. 

• Members

Yes, Carl, I do, thanks! Just watched the first two installments. I hope during the live episodes which sometimes just consist of the housemates conversing we'll hear some CS gossip. And Jenna Jameson will exclaim "Wow, that Julie Goodyear sounds like one f**ked up bi**h!"

Edited by TimWil

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Tim or BetterForgotten, you may like this - sadly I don't have the followup episode (the channel AuntieCorrie probably will at some point - they're uploading early 1994 at the moment), but it's when Charlie returns to try to get Bet to give him another chance. There's a wonderful scene (blocked in Germany - thanks UMG) of Bet slowly walking toward his table in some bar (because back then the show knew not everything should happen in the Rovers) as "Many Rivers to Cross" plays on the soundtrack. It's such a powerful moment that reminds you that Bet was still a vibrant, important character, even in her last year on the show. 

This is my 1994 playlist. I can't delete it because of whatever the hell the site is these days...

Edited by DRW50

• Members

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/coronation-street-and-emmerdale-appoint-new-producers

Kate Oates is moving to Corrie, as many expected.

I think she's been sloppy this year (whether down to her or ITV pressures), but she's a good, solid producer. I tend to agree with those who feel the problems with Corrie are up high, and nothing Blackburn could have fixed, but I hope she has better luck.