Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes I think they were. They had a brief two week storyline about a month after the wedding where Doreen separated from Derek and Derek ended up parking his truck in the street refusing to move it until Doreen went back to him.

• Members

I'm sorry but I hated Deirdre's farewell. I didn't feel moved at all and I just didn't feel like anyone brought their 'A' games. Everyone was flat as hell in their reactions, and the script was trash. Just full of cliches and nothingness. It just felt like another day of Corrie. It would've been more powerful had the news spread around Weatherfield like a forest fire and we saw everyone deal with the news on their own accord. We really didn't get that. And why was Michelle (Kym Marsh) hysterical?! I don't remember Michelle and Deirdre hardly interacting ever. Her reaction was so not wanted.

Kate Ford was decent but I seriously expected Tracey's breakdown to be bigger. Tracey should've been destroying sh-t. Inflicting pain. Something. I expected her to blow up and scorch the earth over the loss of her mother. William Roache (Ken) didn't impress me either. His 'breakdown' at the end of the episode didn't move me. I didn't even see tears coming from his eyes. I also didn't get why Steve was the one to hold him. I think it would've been more powerful had Bev handed him Deirdre's spectacles and a nod to history, Ken would've sobbed hysterically over them like Hilda did over Stan's.

I wasn't impressed....

• Members

Corrie has done this many times over the recent years - I remember how annoying it was that Vera's death episode was almost all about Michelle and the baby switch.

I didn't think it was that bad, but I do think certain parts were lacking. Having the pointless Sarah/Calum and Michael/Eileen stories in the same episode was jarring. Having so much focus on Michelle and on people who didn't even know Deirdre, like Kim Tate and Tanning Mom Del Dingle, was distracting. Bev Callard was also up and down, due to not being able to move her face.

For me, the two best scenes were Tracy getting upset at Audrey calling her, "Tracyluv," and Emily's grief over losing her. Eileen Derbyshire is a treasure.

• Members

I love Eileen Derbyshire, too. I might be even more sad at Emily's passing (if she ever does!) than Rita's.

I wonder if the truth about Tracy's being the unwitting firestarter will come out in the aftermath of Deirdre's death.

• Members

Thursday's episode had some good scenes (mostly with Ken and then the toast to Deirdre, although that was marred by the choice of having Michelle grin in the background like Roma Downey), but choices that likely were intended as humor, like Lloyd and Norris going on about food, just didn't work for me. I'm also not sure why they had Ken say, "This is supposed to happen to other people" when he's already been widowed.

• Members

I thought Derek worked well enough in his smaller role in '80s episodes, but watching these 1994 episodes, he gets on my damn nerves and gets so much airtime. I don't know if it gets any better in 1995 and 1996, but I can see why some viewers eventually had enough, especially with Reg also so dominant and Curly being written the same way in those years.

• Members

I kept finding some February and March 1994 episodes I hadn't uploaded and thought I had. It's a shame how few Bet episodes there are (although there are a lot I'm missing). This is a good one - Bet reconciling with Charlie after the C&W bar mess in the episode before (which I also uploaded). Julie does great here, especially the scene where she sees Charlie again in the pub, right before taking him back. And I love the bit where she flirts with and then she, Vicky and Tanya all drool over the (not very hot) guy Raquel is doing a photo shoot with. It's a rare sight of camaraderie amongst the backbiting atmosphere at the Rovers in this period.