Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I haven't really watched much of 2001, especially early 2001, but I've been watching the few I had and that I'm uploading, and what a very dour time this must have been on Corrie. This one had the questionable decision to put both Toyah's rape story and the smear test mixup in the same episode, along with Roy and Hayley battling Fiz's lies about Roy (I still don't know why they even brought Fiz back after that). The only light relief is Vera at the clinic.

The POV in the episode is also questionable, as a lot of time is spent on the doctor (the one who knocked up Maxine) talking about how unfair it is to criticize the clinic, and a lot of time is spent on Peter berating various characters for accusing him of rape, finally tearing into Janice and Les with a story about how a Navy mate of his killed himself because of rape accusations. It's an extended monologue of rage the likes of which I rarely remember seeing with a male character on Corrie since the old days of Len in the '60s.

I get the feeling the people who took over and started the bigamy plot had a very different view of Peter than Jane McNaught did.

At least they did have a few good scenes with Toyah running through the back door and out onto the street, camera zigging and zagging with her as if she's in a maze.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Carl, thanks for posting the interview. In it LeVell notes that Kevin would be sympathetic towards Jenny but he most certainly wasn't when she was being carted away-the compassion he showed moments before seemed to be a trick to keep her from hurting Jack. Oh, well. He hasn't addressed the continuity gaffe himself, has he? It seems only a spokesman for the show has.

Edited by TimWil

• Members

I thought I remembered reading about Bet going to a country and western bar, but didn't realize I had the episode. I thought it might be kind of fun but it turned out to be depressing...

I don't know how fans at the time tolerated all that Maureen, Reg, and Derek.

• Members

When they let Maureen have dramatic moments, I liked her, but all the silly girly fluttering was just irritating.

Anyway, watched the last two episodes and Liz and Michelle are a poor double act. They're the same character, and they have reduced Steve to a level where I am expecting him to start sucking his thumb.

Julie's exit was believable and bittersweet and very much true to her character. I can see where Katy Cavanagh would want to play new roles, but I also wonder if she'd had some of the writing she had in her last week, if she would have stayed.

I like Todd the way he is at the moment. I hope they won't can him for the damage done to him in previous stories.

• Members

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-93643/The-Corrie-untouchables.html

This is a strange article, in that they got all the firings right but the Grimshaws. I'm surprised that there would ever have been any plans to write out the Grimshaws at this time (spring 2002), as Jason and Todd were probably the only male totty for a lot of younger viewers, and Eileen was likely at least somewhat popular as well.

Were there ever any plans to write them out?

What went on with that Eve character anyway? Did they just give up on her after Jacqueline Pirie left? For a woman who was married to Fred and was landlady of the Rovers, she seems completely irrelevant. Even in a lot of the episodes I've seen from that time, she's just standing behind the bar.

• Members

I only have one or two episodes from these years left to upload, but I thought someone might be interested in this one, as it's one of those from Maureen Lipman's very brief run on the show as a stopgap when Julie Goodyear had to quit early.

• Members

I'm just about done uploading what I had of 2001/2002.

This reminds me of what Sally Dyvenor could do with dramatic material. I guess at least they have calmed her down a little from too much comedy or too much bitterness.

I read that Tracy Shaw abruptly left the show because of a pay cut (I wonder if she regrets it...). I wonder if they had plans for Maxine if she'd stayed. It seems like she was heavy in story even at this point, what with bringing her parents in, which was surprising for a character who had already been on for 7 years. Her mother is [!@#$%^&*] annoying. I mean ANNOYING. And she seems to have been to the John Savident Performing Arts School.