Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Members

The new Connors haven't hindered the show in any way and Shayne Ward as been remarkably better than I had feared, especially after that horrific Sarah Harding mess. However, I hate that they had be labelled Connors. Michelle doesn't even seem close with them by any means and even Aiden's random past with Carla is unnecessary at best. I don't understand why they couldn't have just been completely brand spanking new. Plus, someone at DS brought up how Liam's Connor relations are never used at all. You'd think with all the times Michelle is said to be watching Amy, that single mother Maria would need some help taking care of her son. And this new batch hasn't even raised a small glimpse of interest in their little cousin either. It's just strange.

I'm all here for Ken and Audrey. Maybe because I'm a newer viewer in the grand scheme of things with Corrie history being heavily lost on me compared to the other soaps, but I've thought they had chemistry even before Deirdre passed. Plus, ingratiating Ken into the constant Platt drama could prove a great success. 

With Jason leaving, I wonder what this means for Sarah. I don't think assuming a reunion was part of the plan at some point is too far afield. Other than Tyrone, the show doesn't really have any genuine good guys with such a strong sense of identifiability. If the show were smart, they'd strengthen a friendship between Todd and Sarah and have them move in together. 

I also wish this show realized the potential they have in Maria. She's excels greatly at two things. Being enmeshed with the Platt's and pissing off female characters enough to want to batter her. Her latest thrashing at Jenny Bradley's hands was one of the most talked about scenes of the year. Give her a good female rivalry. A more age appropriate woman could go after Luke, pushing her into the arms of Nick somehow, which could help lead to Carla's exit. Two birds, one stone and it would wrestle up old feelings of animosity between Carla and Maria as well.

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

RIP Stephen Hancock - Ernest's shock death hit people hard in an era when something like that actually still was a shock. Stephen seemed to be a man of real principle, unlike a number of current Corrie stars. Ernest could be annoying and self-righteous at times but he, along with Emily, represented heart and community even with strong individual quirks - everything I miss in today's soaps.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/nov/03/stephen-hancock

• Members

Aw man :( I'd previously assumed that he'd already passed away, but learning that he hadn't brought a new level of enjoyment in my watching the mid/late 70s episodes (still making my way through 1976, slowly, but almost to '77). You're right, Carl. Ernest represented a huge part of Corrie's formula that isn't there anymore. The uptight, prim and proper pillar of the community who is just absolutely dumbfounded when he's revealed to be human every now and then. Farewell to another part of a bygone era.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Watching the episodes Peter Kay was in, which also happened to be the last months of Adam Rickitt's Nick, and...well - I don't know if Rickitt was ill or one of those people who chooses body over face, or what, but he's just terrifying to look at. He looks like Frankie Grande - all eyes and dummy face. 

It's also hard to remember that at one time Chesney had a personality.

• Members

Cheese face is a good word for it. It also looks like it's held together by strings. 

This is the episode I meant (this is the Peter Kay one - Peter Kay doesn't do a lot for me but I didn't mind him here, and it was fun to see the other actors cracking up...and the woman playing his mother was hilarious.

You like the older episodes, right? I finally managed to find all the random 1961-1975 episodes that weren't put out on DVD and were just aired on TV at one point or another. I put them in playlists for each Corrie year of that time period. 

If you want any links, let me know. Or if you don't want to go through all that, just go to my channel (Steph Stokes) and look through my playlists.

• Members

He mentioned in an interview about six months ago that he suffered from bulimia and mental health issues from his teens right through his 20s, and didn't really recover until around the time of his 30th birthday (in 2008). He seems to be in a much happier place now.

• Members

Someone asked me to upload a July 2004 episode and I'm watching it as it goes up and there's this story where Sarah is enraged over Martin continuing to be with Katy Harris after she knew about Todd sleeping with Karl and kept quiet. And yeah, that's a bad thing, but her reaction is so OTT, and the scene she has alone with Martin before she finds out is so odd, I really do wonder if the rumors are true that they were going to have Martin and Sarah hook up and Sean Wilson refused to do it. 

(I think the other rumor is that after Katy, Martin was going to fall for an underage girl, like Rosie)