Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

No surprise here, but Kate Oates says no cast cull.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/coronation-street/news/a781865/coronation-streets-new-boss-kate-oates-plays-down-talk-of-a-mass-cast-cull-nobody-has-cause-to-be-afraid/

Corrie is the soap that most needs a mass firing, and the one least likely to get it. And if that awful hack Collinson is any indication, those who do get fired will be those who don't deserve it.

• Members

True. However, I can credit her when knowing when to pull the plug. Look at the Spencer clan or Dom/Gemma. She gave them all enough time to blend into the canvas, and once she realized that they weren't gonna do it, she got rid of them. I only hope that she draws the same conclusion with the new Connors clan, Michelle, Fiz, and Sean. 

• Members

Well, even if she does plan to get rid of people at some point, I don't see why she'd announce it publicly before she even starts working on the show or why she'd want to go in with that energy/under those circumstances, making threats. Also, the network probably has a huge say in who stays/goes, so the only solution is to simply say you don't plan any major firings and then proceed with your plans once approved by the execs. After all, the last thing you want is the online audience hating you for the suspected firings before you even get there.

That being said, it's probably more wise to get there, write for these people as best you can, and if they don't work out after a few months, OFF WITH THEIR HEADS (she can get rid of Fiz quickly, though. I'll write her a letter telling her that's not a problem). 

• Members

So good to see Gary again. What a beautiful man he is. I'm liking the way Phelan's story is shaping up -- he's planning something and it looks like poor Jason might get hurt because of it. Just don't mess up his face! 

Sally running for council is great and hilarious. God, I love that annoying woman.

Ken and Audrey = :wub: I cannot WAIT for them to get together.

So curious to see what Rita's new storyline is.

At the very least, it should be... interesting to see what happens.

• Members

Tonight reminded me why I grew tired of Corrie, which was b/c there are so many insufferable characters. Sophie moping that Jenny back being in town, Norris being a usual d*ck, Sally butting her nose in matters, Fiz at her usual shrill voice, Carla's new daddy trying to play defender, Michelle getting a stank attitude with Jenny, etc. It's sad that Kevin, the primary offender of Jenny's action, has forgiven her but everyone else want to carry on with being bitter. Build a bridge and get over it. I really wish Rita would've gave all these people the business in the worst way. 

I thought Aidan and Eva at the dinner party was funny. For one second, I thought they were gonna find out the dinner party was a swinger's party when the woman grabbed Aidan's a**. It was cute to see Eva save the day with her little karaoke number. 

Poor Mary. I think she is taking her tryst with that married man too far. Does she not realize that no one on the street can judge her seeing as 99% of them have engaged in adulterous affairs if they already aren't? I do enjoy Dev and Erica trying to cheer her up and make her realize it was a mistake that she can't allow to dictate her life. 

• Members

So fun to have Jenny back! I hope they commit to a great story for this, although it is a bit much that both Kevin and Anna each have a major figure from their pasts come back at the same time to cause trouble. It's always great to see a lot of Rita and I loved her "I never regret meeting you" line. Alan was the man who famously attacked Rita in the late 80s and forever made her into a victim, wasn't he?

The stuff with Kevin and Audrey was also fantastic. I haven't watched Jan. 29 yet, so I don't know if Audrey really had a heart attack but Sue Nicholls was PHENOMENAL and I cried as she begged Ken not to leave her to die alone and finally confessed her feelings for him. Those two are :wub:

Meanwhile, Mary and her 'bad day' were hilarious. Just laugh-out-loud funny!

• Members

A big, wide tub of lard! It is obvious that Fizz's destitute ass is the one stealing stuff and allowing Jenny to take the fall. I hope Rita and Jenny dog-walk her bozo looking ass once the truth comes out. I hope they get Sally, Beth, and Sean together too! 

Aiden won me over big tonight by not succumbing to Sally's wishes. Who the h*ll is she? I just hate that Carla brought her back. 

I don't care for Johnny. I just don't, but I do enjoy Carla digging into him about him interfering. It is too late for him to wanna try and play daddy. This woman is well on her way into her 50s. 

Poor Mary! I just feel bad for her but she has to get over it. This story does make me warm up to Dev, who I usually find deadweight on this show. He actually has meaning again--something he hasn't had with me since the Mad Maya days. I am enjoying Erica more now too even though I wish Claire King was back on Emmerdale. She's at least finding footing on the Street. 

Luke is just sex on stilts. Dean Fagan is so damn gorgeous. Why is he being punished by being in the same orbit as hobbits like Fiz and Tyrone? Just depresses me. 

• Members

Another good episode of Corrie. 

I love how Jenny went has one over on Sally, Kevin, and Sophie. I am glad that Jack told Kevin that he followed Jenny into the factory, thus making Kevin look stupid. Jenny warning Sally not to cross her was priceless. 

Speaking of Sally, she's such a dolt. She has no idea, no political stance when it comes to her campaign. Even Simon made her look like a fool. She is bound to lose the election and rightfully so. I hope that Jenny plays a pivotal role in Sally's political career going belly up. 

I am not here for this Polish girl/human trafficking story. I can spot it a mile away that it is just a plot point to possibly bring Eva and Aiden together when it is not necessary. I just feel that this story is too heavy for Corrie right now. I hope this is wrapped up real quick. 

Good to see Mary come out and enjoy life again along with Leanne starting to enjoy her life again too. Hopefully, both women will go on to have successful relationship. But I think that Leanne is in limbo until Carla leaves. Then I think they'll toss Nick back into her orbit. 

• Members

UGH at the news about Michelle!

Audrey hiding away at Gail's, dealing with Gail's teasing and feeling embarrassed when Luke came in was so beautiful and human. I felt so sad when she told Ken to forget all about what she said. Hopefully Ken will be his usual stubborn self and refuse to listen!

Mary telling Erica, Liz and Sally the incredibly long story about her mother giving her the birds and the bees talk was hilarious. Mary never fails to entertain. Her talk with Erica was fantastic. 

Loving seeing so much of Rita and her bringing Jenny to the street and running immediately into Kevin, Sophie and Jack was great. I do feel it's all moving a bit too fast (Kevin's already said Jenny could say) but it was great how the story about Jenny was used to inform the story about Phelan.