Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Lord knows I haven't paid attention to the show in years, but I would've bought Gary being with a man back then, so I doubt it'd be hard to believe now. It would be too obvious to say "put him with Todd," and I know they've really screwed around with Todd since he's been back, so I don't know.

I like the idea on the last page about there being a flat of young guys. It sorta brings to mind the old set up of Len, Roy, and Jerry, but in 2016, you can have one of them in a relationship with a guy and explore the dynamics of that.

• Members

I think this is the stupidest story EVER. Her having a meltdown over smoking weed was hilarious and horrible at the same time. Cherylee Houston cannot act to save her life. I don't even smoke weed (and never have) but I can see how those who do enjoy be offended by it. It's like they are trying to demonize marijuana.

• Members

Yeah. Erica gave her pot the first time or two. Then dumb Izzy went and allowed some men to scam her of her money and they gave her oregano instead. That's when Gary stepped in but he told her verbatim to only smoke a little b/c he got her some strong weed. Her dumb self decided to do it all at once. 

I just think this is a dumb story. It's obvious they have nothing left for Izzy but wanna hold onto her. 

• Members

As these are two more episodes I had requests for by someone on Twitter, I figured I'd post them, as it takes bizarre amounts of time and patience to put anything on Dailymotion.

These are episodes I'd read about and been interested in but never actually seen - the storyline where an embittered Dev goads factory bad boy Joe Carter into a fight, hoping to put the finishing touches on his relationship with Dev's ex Geena. The fight itself is a bit weak sauce (Eastenders and Emmerdale were always better at those anyway), but it's good material for Dev, who always interested me in his darker, more ruthless periods as a character. The scene where he tells Geena about Joe's lies and the scene where he whispers filth in Joe's ear are standouts. Dev and Geena were actually a good, likeable couple (he had a lot more chemistry with her than he did with Sunita), but I can see why the producers were clearing the decks of some of the interchangeable sweet young ingenues on display at this point. 

This also reminds me how much I enjoyed Deirdre at the corner shop compared to the generic "council job" of later years. 

Other stories include Maxine's annoying mother wanting to get a divorce, Richard beginning his stomach-churning plan to make Audrey think she was getting dementia (perfectly pitched and played in tone here, as the whole story was), Peter and Shelley yammering about a reunion that would set up his old mate Ciaran's introduction (Ciaran would be a very different character to what he became later on) and one of the mini-stories they gave Toyah as they knew Georgia Taylor would soon be leaving - she enters Les' chair in an art exhibition, as a commentary on the squalid working man of today compared to the strong, progressive working man of earlier years (I couldn't help taking that as a meta-commentary on how shallowly many working men were presented on Corrie at this point compared to the strength and intelligence they were given for much of the '60s and '70s). Les finds out, and in that always dramatic yelpy Les way, is devastated by her betrayal and mockery. 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x41r6ea_coronation-street-16th-september-2002-episode-1_fun

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x433b1y_coronation-street-september-16-2002-episode-2-1-3_fun

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4349i8_coronation-street-september-16-2002-episode-2-2-3_fun

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x42kbds_coronation-street-september-16-2002-episode-2-3-3_fun

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I do think Rana will be unveiled as a total psycho who's been in and out of mental facilities for the past few years. And, for some reason, she's intent on destroying the Nazirs. I look forward to Yasmin delivering a right hook to send Rana spinning.

And even though I know it seems cliched how can the Phelan storyline end without him being found lying in a pool of blood as a result of being attacked with one of Charlie's chisels by a seemingly endless array of suspects? 

• Members

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x42zsu5_coronation-street-september-23-2002-episode-1-1-2_fun

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x439nqs_coronation-street-september-23-2002-episode-1-2-2_fun

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x43dodw_coronation-street-september-23-2002-episode-2-1-2_fun

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x43e3fo_coronation-street-september-23-2002-episode-2-2-2_fun

These episodes have some terrific scenes where Richard breaks into Audrey's house to further his gaslighting plan and ends up cowering in her pantry as Gail and Audrey arrive back early. The last scene as he leaves is a bit panto for me, but otherwise it's genuinely fascinating to see him slowly come unspooled in there as they go on and on and on...and then when he overhears Audrey sneering about him over the phone. 

There are some good scenes with Todd as well, as he's insecure about where his life is going and is upset about Sarah dating Aidan (Ade), whom he sees as a bully and a thug. There's an especially good scene where Toyah stops by to give him a book for uni and they talk about the struggles of being the "perfect" younger child. 

The guy who played Ade was on Emmerdale last year as the bartender in the episode where Laurel got plastered (David Barlow was also in that episode, giving her bus money). He's still hot. Ade was an interesting character - he'd bring a lot of material for Todd and Sarah (maybe he could be a magical bisexual like Robert Sugden and have a bit of something with them both) and Ken too. I wish they'd bring him back.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

When I go to the UK at Christmas every year one of the digital channels always airs old episodes of Celebrity Come Dine With Me. There's one with the actor who played Richard Hillman and he's sort of mocked for being such a show biz "luvvie" who's only interested in talking shop. Adele Silva (Kelly on Emmerdale) was in these episodes, too, and she rolls her eyes and says she doesn't want the dinner conversation to revolve around acting. I always think "Well, of course you don't, because you stink at it."

• Members

Really? It's 2016 and we're still doing the marry the gay man for a green card story? :rolleyes:

Even though the scenes with Luke, Steph, Maria, Pablo, and Kirk were cute and funny, I just think this whole story is dumb. I could've understood if Pablo was a refugee from Syria or something but Argentina? Last time I checked (and someone correct me if I am wrong), Argentina is not some war zone. I'm sure Pablo could've gotten citizenship with ease.