OLTL:Carlivati I'm calling you out!!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The thought of romance never even crossed my mind. I see Todd trying to get back at the people who he feel took his little girl away from him. Todd plans to turn Marty against John, work the "new" bond they (Todd and amnesiacMarty) form to torment John and Cole. Todd will think he has the upper hand, Marty will get her memory back and hate Todd (yet again) for him essentially raping her a second time (in her mind).

Before Higley brought back Marty, Todd and Marty were in an "ok" place. She had forgiven Todd for his actions and they were able to be civil. That will now be undone.

• Members

I would be absolutely SHOCKED if Ron Carlivati write a romantic story for Todd/Marty or even have Marty develop feelings for Todd. I am going to give Carlivati the benefit of the doubt that he won't go there, because he hasn't offended me or insulted me yet and it's been about a year since he took over. Jay, I definitely see where you are coming from but I am sure the payoff will make up for it.

• Members

Okay, I see where others are coming off, and I don't necessarily think this story is supposed to be entertaining (in a sense of adventure, fun, and whatnot), but rather to further show the twisted psychopath that is Todd Manning. It's one of those dark, twisted stories, which needs to be told with delicacy and sensitivity. I actually think it's one of Carlivaiti's better stories right now, because the Rebecca Hotchkiss Tina one sucks.

• Members

This s/l highlights one of the major flaws in soaps--the inability to adapt to the changing standards of their audience.

While they still have viewers who are more enticed by the way certain characters look together than they are with the actual story, I think there are more viewers prone to analysis these days to the point where plots like this one goes against the moral compass.

The main problem with this s/l is not what Todd is dong because Todd works as a corrupt character. The problem is their choice of victims. If they're telling a story about his seeking revenge on John (forget about Cole since he's not major anyway) then the best victim would have been Caitlin. After all was said and done, she and John could have gone off into the sunset together. My point being that there would have been some major emotional turmoil for John had not only the woman he loved returned from the dead but that she was Ramsey's and then Todd's victim.

There was not enough of a connection with Marty and John despite her confession of love which was rushed probably for the purpose of making him the man she loved in this wretched story. They managed to manufacture a photo of her and John to give some depth to their relationship but all that proves to me is Cole isn't significant in this mess.

IA that this is a different type of rape of the character Marty and it is so unnecessary and warped. All it does is present some viewers with a moral dilemma. On the one hand they like watching the show and want to continue but then there's this horrible s/l and illusion of a potential romance (and it doesn't matter that they don't go there since the possibility is revolting enough) with Marty and her rapist. As it progresses and becomes more annoying then it might get harder to justify tuning in for some people. Shocking can go too far and it diminishes the confidence of certain viewers that getting through this s/l means that there won't be something as repulsive later on.

• Administrator

I like this story because it involves Marty/Todd and they have a long history with each other.

I have no doubt in my mind that Carlivati will not write a romance between the too. Marty might fall for Todd but it'll be a "false love" and I can live with that, as long as it doesn't turn out to be real love when Marty regains her memory.

I am enjoying every storyline right now. Jay, I think I am now Carlivait's #1 fan and cheerleader! LOL :D

• Members

I was raped... but I know the difference between reality and sick entertainment. If you don't like what you see, shut off the T.V., or, FF. But, I for one want to see where this story is heading. So, you're preaching to the choir here, but we don't always heed the sermon. :angry:

• Members

Well said Dr. Jay :)

I hope that if they do try and go "there" that SH fights it tooth and nail again, I know her and Roger Howarth fought against it when TIIC wanted to pair up Todd and Marty back when he was Todd

Just because it's a different actor doesn't mean it is any more acceptable :rolleyes:

• Members

Ummmm.... Isn't this classic soap? As someone who's family has seriously been affected by rape and sexual violence, I dunno--I'd like to wait and see how it's addressed. It obviously makes WAY more sense dramaticlaly speaking to have Todd involved in Marty's return--besides, the boring ass Cole there's no one in Llanview who really has any real connection to her otherwise

Archived