OLTL:Carlivati I'm calling you out!!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually, Ryan, I'd never support EJami, because James Scott is (IMO) a stiff actor; and no way would Elvis Jr. be around the same age as Sami, either. But that's just me, lol.

And as for Luke and Laura...well, I knew all along what had transpired that night at the Campus Disco. However, calling it a "rape," to me, was almost as bad as calling it a "seduction," if that makes any sense.

• Members

Honestly. I think I'd quit OLTL if they pair these two as anything other than wary friends or adversaries . I remember so clearly watching the rape & the aftermath that to have them turn into a romantic couple....just really incredibly high over the top ICK factor. :huh: Not to mention its just not right.

I have been hoping for sometime that they will go there with Todd- have a complete breakdown or sudden realization that he is a soulless bastard...but then if he goes through healing or whatever, would he turn into Mr Nice Guy and how would all those who love to hate him or just plain love him deal with THAT?

I'd love it if they'd go deeper into Todd's past and see WHY he has become what he has- beyond all the stuff his adoptive father Peter Manning did...who knows ?

• Members

I think what Ron and the other writers are doing is proving how vengeful Todd Manning is. He is keeping Marty away from John and Cole because of what they've done to him. In his mind, they took his daughter from him, so now he is going to take the woman they love most from them. It just so happens that Todd and Marty share an intense and complex history together.

I don't think the writers have any intentions of pairing these two together romantically. If anything, we're going to see Marty fall for Todd, all while having a feeling that she shouldn't have these feelings for him. Because if you've noticed, when Todd and Marty are in a scene together, even though Marty has amnesia and has no clue who Todd is, her guard is constantly up when she's around him. I don't know if the writers are doing that or if it is Susan Haskell, but I see it and that does a lot for me. I don't think we'll see any of those feelings returned from Todd because he knows that he can't go there. And so once Marty starts falling for Todd, I think we're going to see him very conflicted with what he's doing and I honestly think we're going to have to watch Todd be the one to tell Marty how he raped her. And I think those scenes are going to be truly Emmy worthy for Trevor St. John and Haskell.

I am not offended by this storyline in the slightest so far. So I'm going to continue to enjoy it until Ron and his team do something that does offend me.

• Members

Yeah, but NOTHING is telling me this will be a "Real Pairing".

Todd (like Jonathan on GL in the beginning, before the show decided incest was truly romantic) might attempt a seduction, so that when he reveals to John she's alive, Marty's all "I LOVE THIS MAN!" (re: Todd) and Todd gets his revenge. But I don't think ANYONE is foreshadowing a real Todd/Marty romance that will turn into true love. If anything, they're just building the anticipation to the return of Marty's memory and the ripping open of a new orifice for Todd. :P

• Members

Let me start this by saying I've worked in the medical field for 20 years. Well, 19 and a half. It'll be 20 years in November. I don't really keep track and would never have thought to count before reading dr jay's post.

Long before I entered medicine, I learned that rape is a disgusting, violent, criminal behavior. Always was... always will be.

But nothing in my medical experience gives me any better or worse a platform from which to criticize a fictional story about rape than any other type of profession. To prelude a criticism by claiming to be some kind of medical professional doesn't make the remarks that follow any more or less valid than anyone else's opinon. Rape is not a medical condition like chicken pox or cancer, and the implication that Jay's perspective as a medical professional lends some special weight to his criticism is insulting. A psychologist or rape counselor ? Those I'd listen to. A vague "medical professional" label? Not so much. I don't care if you're the head of the AMA or a veterinarian; this is a forum for discussing soap operas. It's not the NEJM opinion page.

If you ask me -- as a longtime viewer, not as a medical professional--the original story was very well done, and by keeping both Todd and Marty on the canvas this show-- a fictional creation meant to entertain and perhaps to instruct as well-- has mined the tension between the rapist&his victim wellover the years. Realistic or not, moral or not, the current story of Todd and Marty just isn't very interesting to me from a dramatic standpoint. It would make no sense to me at all for Marty and Todd to ever have a physical relationship of any kind. (Even, when i think about it, this strangely uninteresting predicament they're in now.)

As a medical professional, I could complain that the writers aren't treating Marty's head injury and the various possible sequelae with any justice, but that's beside the point. I don't watch the show as medicine man, I watch it like anyone else: as a viewer. And anything I say here is simply one opinion, no more or less important than anyone else's, no matter what I (or anyone else) does for a living outside of this forum.

• Members

Well, now you've gone and offended me a little bit. If you think I used my medical profession to as you say platform my rant, then you are sadly mistaken. As a soap fan with an opinion, I always try to defend my opinon with facts and details so that I am not accused of being a hater, and just a complainer. Your sentiment that you would never use your medical profession to take a stance on a soap is merely your choice but I can't help but use mine. I said it in my previous post and I will say it again. This story is insulting to the many woman I have seen, and I cannot see any of them falling in love with their rapist, and it is equally as sick for the rapist to be raping the victim again, although mentally. I've lived and breathed this stuff for the last decade so if you think it doesnt come to mind when watching television, movies, the internet, and other materialistic things, then again I say you are mistaken again and I ask that you never ever again try to put something like that on me.

• Members

Honestly, I think everyone is being a bit too sensitive here, and maybe that's why daytime scribes tend to stay away from such stories. Here's the thing, Marty has amnesia, she doesn't know that Todd raped her, when she learns the truth, do you honestly think that she'll romance him?

Archived