SOD: Days Renewal News

• Members

What fringe teens? There isn't a single teenager on the show. Now, I'd say there are plenty of people acting like teens, but that would be an insult to real teenagers. Is this the first time in the history of Days that are isn't one person under the age of 21 but over the age of 5?

It's been bad since 1993, but I was being nice.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

true, but days doesnt need a teenset. they actually have a good range of people from 20's onward.

plus they screwed themselves by aging shawn/brady with belle/philip. whenr eally they shoulda aged shawn/abby/brady and MAYBE belle then after they hit mid 20's age philip/ej/will/chelsea

but isnetad, they aged them all to teenagers, then to early 20's, then to mid 20's in less that like 8 years. srsly. belle went from 5 to 15 then aged to 18, then went to 21, then aged to 22, then went to 26.

• Members

Don´t worry, there already are casting calls for a new bunch of teens. I think they will all arrive at the beginning of summer led by recasted Will.

As for the renewal, good move from NBC IMO. DAYS is very quickly improving and the show feels fresh and full of live again. Some people can hate Dena, but she managed to keep the show intact during the strike and even the transition period wasn´t so destructive as many feared. I think her only major mistake so far is firing MM and stopping Phelle, because even if I don´t mind Phloe and I´m intrigued by the possibility of Phorgan, the chemistry and sexual tension between MM and JKJ was much stronger.

• Members

Excuse me but this show is far from being crap right now!! :angry:

It was last year but not now. I dont get all of this pessimism. Have y'all watched some of these other soaps lately?

I think the show is on an upswing right now and we're right on the cusp of entering into another "Golden Era" for the show.

• Members

I'm sure it's still doomed - just a matter of time. NBC has made it clear they want out of the daytime game. If it gets renewed for another year, I'm sure NBC will pay a lot less to air it, which means a lot less money going towards the show. And since ratings for ALL shows are declining (check out Sylph's graphs), Days maybe has only one more year left in it.

I really wish shows like GL and Days would go out with their heads held high. This slow death is killing ALL of us.

• Members

Oh, that wasn't what I meant at all. Sorry - didn't mean to be so vague.

Without sounding pessimistic, there's a very good chance we're going to lose 3-4 soaps in the next five years. (When in doubt, check out those scary graphs in the writers' threads)

Then I look at prime-time shows that CHOOSE to end, because they know it's the best time in their story.

It's clear the audience is dwindling, and even if the shows were amazing, that whole audience is pretty much gone.

Thinking about JP's earlier post, I wonder if maybe the shows shouldn't end on their own terms, with their heads held high. And then, a few months later, have a HW craft a 13-week soap.... maybe even using those characters, like a telenovela.

Just think - if John/Marlena/Bo/Hope had their adventure-filled, kick-ass happy ending. And then there were no Days for a few months.

Then the ad campaigns start - SALEM IS BACK!

And then, maybe just in the summer, there's this HUGE 13-week story with a beginning, middle, and an end, p[lotted out from the beginning..

Let's face it - people just aren't investing 5 hours a week in television, every week, all year, the way they used to. SO instead of fighting it, why doesn't daytime ADAPT to it. These networks own the rights to these characters (except the Bells and Ken) so that part wouldn't be too tough.

Instead, I feel like everyone's just scraping by, fighting not to be canceled - when maybe the best thing they can do is go off the air on THEIR terms, out with a bang, because it's the right thing to do. And then come back. Because this option is horribly depressing to watch.

• Members

Oh my god.

I have never LOVED a post before.

I know you all say it here all the time.

And I mostly smile and think "well, that is a very strong reaction".

But I LOVE this post.

Love it. Love it.

Cancel a soap with a big bang. A voluntary end.

Then return it in limited doses, selective slices, as a telenovela. (The telenovela experiment--so far--has not worked well in the English-speaking US...but that can change).

I love this post. Good posts open my horizon to whole new possibilities. Things I never even contemplated before.

Thank you!

Archived