GL: Beth Ehlers Out!

• Members

I can't say I'm surprised by this. I think she really enjoyed working with RPG and when that was taken away she felt adrift.

Oh well, maybe Cyrus can head back in Marina's direction. Then again, Cyrus will probably head somewhere else since I now know Kreizman is incapable of writing a couple-based story.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Can't say that I blame Beth for taking a hiatus and possibly just walking away from the show. Let's face it, her character has been poorly written for while now. They have changed Harley's character over and over and over, not giving the character in my opinion any real direction. Harley has been doing things that are just out of character and the fact that she seems to have not stable romantic relationship is just ridiculous.

To tell you the truth, GL has been sinking for years now since the last part of Rauch's tenure. The EP's and HW's from those years up to the present now, have been making stupid mistakes from recasting characters, releasing actors and actresses, kiling off characters, destroying sets, and this ridiculous production values we are seeing now. I would want to leave too and probably would have been gone! It's sad to say but their ratings are terrible and just can't seem to make any gains or rise. Beth Ehlers leaving is going to hurt this show because they have relied on her character for so long to help carry it.

I was looking at GL the other day and just was so upset to see that this show is not even a shell of its former self. It's just not GL at all. Where are the core families? Where are the great supercouples? Where are the grand romances? What happened to the great sets? Where are the great stand alone characters that carried a scene by themselves or when they entered a scene just captivated you? It doesn't seem to exist on GL anymore.

The Bauer's are missing! The Spaulding's are a joke and non-existent in my eyes. The Reardon's are never mentioned! The Lewises were strong in the past, but are barely remembered. The Marler's are no where to be found! The Chamberlain's are missing in action. The list goes on and on. Who's really left on GL. I was looking at a Custom Made GL opening theme on Youtube and saw all the characters that they showed and realized that there are no familiar faces on the show worth watching. Sure they had Reva and Josh, but they're not even together anymore. Where's Holly, Blake, Rick, Philip, Beth, Lillian, Nola, Quint, Vanessa, Maureen(yeah, I know her character was killed off years ago, A BIG MISTAKE), Ross, Alex, Tony, Annabelle, Bridget, Chelsea, Michelle, Ed, Johnny, Roxie, Trish, Mindy, Kyle, etc? Why is that Josh and Reva are not together? They are the money couple of GL. The history that these two characters have, the romance and passion that these two have endured, come on, use the history and the flashbacks to get that magic back and keep them together. There's alot more that these characters can go through together and without the threat of breaking up. The grand romances of characters are gone and just not there. I like Ashley and all, but I'm not feeling the romance of Coop and Ashley that much because it seemed to rush, just like it dd when they put Ava and Coop together in the past. The pairing can work, just wish it would have had a better build-up to them.

I'm just very annoyed with the state of GL! There are alot of things wrong with the show for me, and that's jut my opinion. GL is one of my favorite shows and I love this genre so much that I want all soaps to succeed and get back to the basics but at the same time, provide us with surprises, not plot shocks to garner ratings.

• Members

Umm ... I'm kind of 50/50 on this. I don't think that Beth Ehlers is the shows saving grace, but then again, screw this regime - ya know? Screw em! Give them the bird and never look back. It's sickening how many vets on this show have been so loyal over the years. And I don't mean the word 'loyal' as in Cocker Spaniel 'loyal', but loyal as in devoted and still being with the show through its many ups and downs, trails and tribulations, and blah blah blah. Whatever. But there's a certain breaking point in that kind of loyalness. And I bet you it's because of the way that they're being treated. Jerry verDorn is a perfect example of that.

Ugh ... can't type anymore or else I'm going to have a bad case of the potty mouth, so I'll shut up.

• Members

I kinda disagree. I thought Rauch actually got BETTER toward the end. He FINALLY realized he made a mistake with San Cristohell and the mob and got rid of both (mostly--Carmen didn't leave until a few weeks after Rauch). He had Millee Taggart and Carolyn Culliton writing, who are GL's last good headwriters.

It wasn't until Ellen Weston came in and took all the good she had inherited and threw it all to Hell.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ May 8 2008, 07:41 PM)
So will she pull a Beverlee McKinsey?! :lol: I love Beth Ehlers if she doesn't return post-vacation. I want all the stars to leave GL. Harley has been ruined the past few years and it's impossible to watch her. I feel so bad for BE being stuck in a contract and forced to act out such trash.

Not quite a McKinsey, since Bev was under contract, but she had the rare ability to choose to walk away from that contract - and did. In this case, BE's contract is up, so there's nothing for her to walk away from. She's a free agent, and she can do whatever she pleases. Although as was posted above, reports are that Barbara Bloom wants to keep her in the CBS family, and BE has been sighted on the set of Y&R. I guess it will depend on whether BE likes what she sees there, or if she'll want to test the waters at ABC before making up her mind.

Still, it's got to be equally devastating to TPTB at GL. Knowing that a fan favorite actress couldn't come to terms with you and is testing the waters elsewhere, even if it's another show on the same network, probably stings as much as having one of daytime's top talents exercise a clause in her contract that lets her walk away from your show at her own discretion.

Archived