Ryan's Hope Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The second Mary was great and could've sustained the character for the rest of the run. Had they kept her and Sarah Felder the show would've been a lot better off IMO. The two following Mary recasts were terrible. I know Nicollette is considered to be the "good" recast, but she played Mary in such a shrill and annoying manner.

• Members

Nicolette is mostly seen as good by comparison. She was cold and had no chemistry with Michael Levin. Only in her last few weeks did she show more heart and emotion.

Mary Carney was the best recast, but there was no Mary without Kate Mulgrew. To me Mary was an unlikeable, unpleasant woman from very early, and it was mostly Mulgrew who mitigated some of that.

• Members

It's so hard to believe that Kate was only 20 when RH began. She had that maturity, wise-beyond-her-years aura about her and such a screen presence!! Kate dominated every scene she was in - no wonder she went on to primetime success, but she never forgot her RH roots.

On a side note, in 2000, she very nearly became the First Lady of my very own home state of Ohio when her husband Tim Hagen ran for governor.

• Members

It seems like the casting change from Mary #2 to Mary #3 happened right away. I actually think Mary #1 could be very smug and judgmental, but she also was fiesty and interesting. I actually do think if Mary #2 had stayed on, that Mary would have become more of a supporting character. Mary #2 seemed more youthful and less harsh then #1, imho.

Watched some youtube videos of the last weeks of RH, and I think having Delia remarry Roger at the end really show-cased how much her character never changed or grew up. I would have much preferred Delia ending up single, but successful and more confident as opposed to married when the show ended.

• Members

I know you have to write to the strengths of an actor, even a recast, but I often feel as if doing that is the reason why so many of RH's oft-recasted characters seemed so inconsistent (for lack of a better word). The quality between one actor and the next varied too much, IMO.