Ryan's Hope Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I've wondered what happened to Dennis Jay Higgins (Sam Crowell). After Ryan's Hope, he was in an off-Broadway play (Isadora Duncan Sleeps With The Russian Navy) in early 1977...not sure what became of him after that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

On the old Soapnet message board, there are some tidbits mentioned from when Rose Alaio visited the board in 2011 and one of them was that ABC made Sarah Felder cut her hair and then let her go a few months later. I think the short cut kind of aged her. I think the thing that sort of bugged me about the first two Siobhans was that they were constantly seeking out or needing Jack's advice, approval. Yes, part of that was the underlying attraction to him but, for a character that was supposed to be this spitfire, she seemed a little too dependent on what her brother-in-law thought.

Re my question about when Jack started to get accepted by Johnny, that makes sense about the father to Ryan thing. The funny thing with me was that one of my memories of the show from its original broadcast (and my child/teen-hood spotty viewing) was that I always remembered Jack as a devoted, overprotective widowed father who still mentioned his wife even though she had been dead for some time. I mean, I never saw his and Mary's storyline at that time (I just remember her name being mentioned a lot) so to have seen the earlier episodes on SN and discovered what a jerk he started out as was a bit of a shocker.

• Members

It makes sense to me that Jack would be that way after losing Mary. After treating her the way he did in the early days, I'm sure he must have had plenty of regrets not only that he didn't have more time with her, but that he didn't treat her better when he did. It also makes sense why he waited so long to marry again. By the time he was ready to settle down with Leigh, he had learned his lessons and was able to treat her with the love and respect she deserved.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Forgive me, but didn't Anna Pavel have two runs on the show. Initially, she came to the restaurant in Sheepshead Bay to tell Joe and Tiso that she would avenge her beloved Paolo's death. Then, a few months later, she popped up again when they introduced Michael and Rae went to her and offered her money to keep Michael away from Kim. Or did these things happen about the same time.

I really enjoy a lot of "Ryan's Hope" once they got rid of Tom Desmond and introduced Kim. While I did find Kim annoying at times, I enjoyed most of the plotting and scheming between herself and Rae. It may not have been fitting with the current vision of "Ryan's Hope," but I thought it was engaging.

• Members

I had a bit of a shock in the 90s when a friend of mine was working in a Broadway play and "Pops" manning the stage door was none other than Rose Alaio! She was quite a character. I wonder if she's still doing the job.