Ryan's Hope Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yes, Seneca was a controlling husband; and yes, John Gabriel was charming and sexy as hell in the role.  I completely bought both Nell and Jill getting involved with him against their better judgment.  I draw the line at his involvement with Kim—her judgment or lack thereof notwithstanding, that pairing made no sense—although I appreciate KM's heartfelt, self-effacing post.

Agreed that Nell and Seneca were a high point in the show's first year, likely at least in part because their story were the least affected by the change in plans vis-a-vis Frank dying - but also because they were both so talented and worked well together.  They were supposed to last longer (DvD left for medical reasons) and I could have seen them being a tempestuous but tentpole couple on the hospital side of the show, a la Alan and Monica Quartermaine.  But the euthanasia story was a stellar ending.

Anyway, RIP to a terrific actor.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Yes, he auditioned for Seneca. Nancy Addison had originally auditioned for Faith. Malcolm Groome said it took him a little while to accept their role offer because he didn't want to do a soap opera - so, maybe, they were just waiting for him to say yes.

• Members

I know that Jada Rowland was considered for the role of Dr. Faith Coleridge, but it was decided that she was too old for the role.  (Faith is said to have been written with Ms. Rowland in mind)

I have often wondered if Justin Dees may have auditioned for the Dr. Pat Ryan role but was cast as Nell's nephew instead.

• Members

Tracy Brooks Swope is a wonderful actress.    (I am thinking that one of her relatives is the photographer who takes a whole lot of pictures from the theatre.)

Claire Labine and Paul Avilla Mayer worked with Tracy Brooks Swope on Where the Heart Is.   The actor who played her love interest, Gregory Ables, was cast in the role of the son-in-law of Maeve and Johnny Ryan (Art Thompson), Diana van der Vlis played Dr. Nell Boulac (and the other character toward the end of the show), and it was said that Robyn Millan was the inspiration for the Delia character.    Ilene Kristen, who was cast as Delia, was told to watch tapes of Ms. Millan on Where the Heart Is, and Robyn Millan was Delia #3 on the show (although, supriseingly, she was terrible in the role of Delia).