Ryan's Hope Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Oh wow! That lineup I will definitely be tuning in for. I know many didn’t like her, but I was totally invested in the Rae/Kimberley storyline and I wish both characters had remained longer. Just in general I loved Rae so that could be why I accepted Kimberly. I can’t wait to hear what they have to say!

• Members

Tbh, I was not a fan of either. Rae was OK in small doses, but I found the actress one-note, and the character completely overbearing. The Kimberly character was so annoying, unattractive, and unappealing it was hard to believe that she lasted on the show as long as she did.

• Members

Louise's terrible connection prevented her from sharing much on Locher's reunion.  But it's clear she still has amazing chemistry w/ Kelli and Michael.  Hopefully Locher brings Louise back w/ a better connection so she can share stories from all her years in daytime...she's still totally with it, and clearly has tales to tell.

Edited by gimmetoo

• Members

Some of the quick notes I jotted down- 

Michael Corbett said he was hired for 3 days and then offered a contract

It looked like Michael was getting a family but Joan Loring (Michael’s mother- Anna Paval)  couldn’t remember her lines.

Louise thought she was going to be written out until she met Kelli and then told her husband her job was safe.

Nice how much Louise taught Kelli. I recall on the Soapnet forum Rose Alaio (Rose)  said the show offered Kelli no help.

Michael  didn’t really  answer if anyone helped him.

Michael said he was disappointed when he was written out.

Kelli said she was devastated when she was written out.

The Ryans were not thrilled with the addition of them to the show.

Helen Gallagher (Maeve) told the writers to rewrite scenes where Maeve was to speak with Michael because she said Maeve would never speak to MP. This disappointed Michael as he was a HG fan. Instead Maeve's dialog was given to Delia. He said Randall Edwards (Delia #3) was lovely.

Kelli and Michael were hired to be the show's answer to Luke & Laura and bring in a younger audience.

Louise said Kelli and Michael were charismatic performers and the audience responded  to them.

Kelli said they first considered Kim seducing Frank Ryan.

She called John Gabriel (Seneca) a trooper for being stuck with the Lolita s/l

She also said John was not the jealous type.

All 3 gave their story for why they became actors.

Louise hated writing for soaps because she wanted to tell her own stories.

After he was fired, the shows wardrobe person secretly gave Michael all of MP’s clothes to take home.

She gave Kelli some of Kim’s clothes.

Louise loved Edge o Night and that was because of  co-stars Ann Flood and Lois Kibbee. That role taught her how not to take the work home because she drove herself a little crazy with the  s/l. 

I enjoyed the affection they have of each other.

I was thinking  of one of the reports  that Michael had been fired because of backstage jealousy -  I always thought that it was a male co-star's jealousy but maybe it was a female.

I recall that  a blogradio interview ( had to be over 10 years ago)  where Louise said there was a clique on the show and she wasn’t part of it – and in this YouTube reunion it really sounded like they were together by themselves  on and off screen.

Also in the blogradio interview,  Louise said was a team player and the show would send her out to do press because they knew she would be positive – even during the Merit Karah s/l.

So it would be interesting to hear her speak even more about everything  40 years later

Edited by safe

• Members

Thanks, @safe .

Thank goodness for Helen Gallagher. She's right - given that Michael played a key role in the death of her unborn grandchild, Maeve would never be able to have small talk with him. 

I suppose it was hoity-toity for the actors in the Ryan family to resent their involvement, but given how repulsive Michael and Kimberley were as characters and the damage Kimberley's story did to the show, I can't really blame them. 

• Members

I loved that interview. As I said before, Rae was one of my favorites and I loved what Michael and Kim brought to the story. I don’t mind Michael dying, but I do wish Kim and Rae had remained long term. I was happy that Louise stayed on despite her technical difficulties because she still got to give us some good stories. It made me sad to hear her talk about how she moved to writing due to her looks. To me she is gorgeous and it’s unfortunate she couldn’t have continued to be valued even as she aged. To me she remained gorgeous and if a soap were smart they’d use her similar to how B&B kept Stephanie viable as Susan Flannery aged. The acting should be the most important thing and Louise was a powerhouse. 

• Members

Agreed about Louise !  She's a legend -- RH and EON where her favorite daytime roles. 

Let's all message Locher to get her back on for her own solo interview.  What might hook him:  Louise was Emmy nominated as part of the writing team for As The World Turns.  We all know he favors ATWT...let's just hope he gives her ample time to discuss all her years IN FRONT OF the camera.

Edited by gimmetoo

• 1 month later...
  • Members

This is from June 2020 and a commentary written by MacKenzie Allen (Jim Speed) -who spent some time in  law enforcement after acting.

The Sante Fe New Mexican newspaper

https://www.santafenewmexican.com/opinion/my_view/emphasize-the-peace-for-officers/article_bf0cd672-b256-11ea-9754-2b6ff2665193.html

• Emphasize the 'peace' for officers
  •  

I’ve seen racism acted out by fellow cops. It was rare but it was ugly. Racism and brutality by law enforcement is inexcusable. Period. This country is being convulsed by the horrible events of the past few weeks, finally so unavoidably exposed as to defy being ignored. I can barely begin to imagine the pent-up rage and frustration of African Americans and other minorities after suffering generations of abuse and violence at the hands of those sworn to protect us all.

The problems are so immensely complex that they cannot be addressed fully here, but I would like offer some insights.

The concept of “community policing” was much-promoted beginning in the 1990s, and most cops were highly skeptical. I was the first deputy in my agency to be assigned as community officer. We began in a district I had worked for years, our most troublesome area.

The population was comprised of every race and ethnicity you could think of, each with its gang(s). White, Black, Pacific Islander, Native American, Southeast Asian … you name it. The only people who supported us were the older white folks. Everyone else either feared, hated or mistrusted us. Clearly, this had to change.

We began by holding community meetings with residents of “the projects,” subsidized housing that was rife with crime. We were able to convey to them that we truly cared about the community, but that we needed their help, welcomed their input, wanted to address their fears and work with them to provide a more peaceful neighborhood. I opened a “storefront” office smack in the middle of the drug and gang-infested, run-down commercial area.

Residents could walk in at any time to discuss concerns. We distributed a monthly newsletter to the community detailing our efforts and successes and projects on which we were working. The reaction was overwhelmingly positive.

We organized a community walkabout. A couple of hundred residents met with 10 deputies and the precinct brass at the Boys & Girls Clubs, then walked together for a couple of miles through the streets. People came out to cheer and greet us, people who previously would hide from us, especially those refugees from the Cambodian “killing fields” and the horrors of Vietnam who trusted no one in uniform.

We ran citizens academies and encouraged ride-alongs with patrol to help people understand our work. But most of all, we talked. More importantly, we listened. It will take a lot of talk, a great deal more listening and a vast opening of minds on all sides to mend this terrible shredding of our society. But it can be done. To not try is to abdicate and to watch ourselves become a failed state.

Changing an outdated view of the mission for police officers will require true leadership, and that comes from the top. The entire command staff of an agency must embrace and actually model the desired behavior. That means spending some time out of the office and on the streets with patrol troops.

Cops won’t respect any admin person who A) has no street experience and

Please register in order to view this content

hides out at headquarters. Overloaded with work as they may be, administrators must find time to interact with patrol and the public on calls for service. Some police departments are already good at this. Some are light years behind.

Make no mistake. There will always be a “warrior” element in police work. But we need to put a far greater emphasis on the “peace” part of peace officer.

MacKenzie Allen, who lives in Santa Fe, was a deputy sheriff in both Seattle and Los Angeles.

Edited by safe

• 3 weeks later...