WGA East files suits against ABC/Corday Productions

• Members

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/index.asp...cleid=CA6546970

WGA East Claims Network, Corday Productions Retained Replacement Writers for All My Children, Days of Our Lives

The Writers Guild of America East filed arbitration suits against ABC and Corday Productions, claiming that the companies violated the strike-termination agreement by retaining replacement writers who filled in during the strike on All My Children and Days of Our Lives instead of bringing back the writers who had been on strike.

“The strike-termination agreement does not allow the retention of replacement writers in lieu of allowing striking writers to return to their jobs. ABC and Corday Productions are clearly violating this agreement,” said Ira Cure, senior counsel for the WGA East, in a statement. “They have left us no other option but to file arbitrations to ensure that our members will be afforded their rights outlined under this agreement.”

ABC says that the arbitration suits are unfounded.

"We are in full compliance with our contract. The allegation is untrue," said the network in a statement late Tuesday.

The strike-termination agreement says: “No replacement writer hired during the strike period shall be retained on a show over a striking writer who offers to return to work on the same show on which he or she was employed when the strike began.”

The companies will have 10 days to mutually decide upon an arbitrator to hear the case.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wonder what the WGA has against AMC - the vast majority of the pre-strike team is back at work. We all know that B&E went FiCore, which was their legal right to do so. I wonder if the WGA suspects that B&E were scabbing before they officially went FiCore. <_<

• Webmaster

The ABC suit is because of B&E, though the two went Fi-Core. It is my understanding that no AMC writers have been replaced.

My estimation is that though they are stating that a striking writer shouldn't be replaced by a non-striking writer, the case of AMC's writing situation is vastly different from any other shows as their writers were in place before the strike was called.

Then again Kay Alden went Fi-Core and headwrote B&B, so not sure why they aren't be sued.

• Administrator

Just because a soap hasn't been named right now, it doesn't mean they won't be later on.

That's the main issue.

There's a lot more going on.....we just haven't heard the full story yet.

• Members

heres the thing on LML she had a contract thru WGA as a writer and SONY for being EP

When the strike happened even though she was free to strike as HW she still had to honor her deal as EP, which she did not. She went on vacation

If Sony/Bell prods were smart they put in her deal that if she is let go from one position she vacates the other as well

So I dont see how she could come back, she broke her contract. Maybe they will sue her

Archived