AMC: Do you think Hogan Sheffer would be a good fit for this show?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think yes. Ever since the talk of replacing McTavish, he is one of the few writers that I think would be better than the current status (also thought that B&E were worse than status quo, glad the have not let me down)...

I also think given the staff he has who has history with AMC and some new blood, it has potential.

And anthing that gets Bettina Bradbury writing for AMC again WORKS for me

• Members

Hogan overall sucked at ATWT AND DAYS. DAYS fans like to blame Corday, but how can you explain the extremely uneven quality at ATWT? The shoddy treatment of vets with many fan faves leaving? Was Corday ghost-producing ATWT? Nope, that's Hogan. He's even admitted he didn't know what to do with most of the older characters, which was proven again at DAYS.

I wouldn't hire Hogan for ANY soap. It'll be a disaster.

• Members

Well, you know, Erica did go on the run once, dressed as a nun, and Hogan wasn't anywhere near that story.

To answer ZF's question, I'd say no. I've seen his work on ATWT and DAYS. He has a sense of humor - which, IMO, is lacking these days from "the CHILDREN" - but he never seems to know what to do with characters who are 39 and over.

I'd suggest for him what I once suggested for Megan McTavish: get a Co-HW who 1) knows and loves AMC, and 2) knows a thing or two about interconnecting storylines and keeping the pace of the plots going.

And if that fails ... ? Just promote Jeff Beldner.

• Members

I've asked this before in the past and I'll ask it again.

What on God's glorious green earth does the age of a character have to do with writing for them? If they're interesting, they're interesting at any age. If they're not, they're not. I don't see Hogan sitting around saying, "Oh, she has multiple personalities and her father raped her with a mold of her brother's penis until she was 30? IFascinating! She's the head of the show's major company and she's a total bitch to work for who blackmailed her way up the ladder? Sounds great! Ohhh, she's over 39? What a boring character. I can't write for her."

It doesn't compute with me.

• Members

True, but I think Mary Alice Dwyer-Dobbin's decision to fire many of his associate writers - Richard J. Allen, Jeff Beldner, Tom Casiello, Hal Corley, Stephen Demorest - had a lot to do with that.

Hogan might be someone who's only as good as his Co-HW. When he worked exclusively w/ Carolyn Culliton, ATWT was often engaging. With Jean Passanante? Not so much.

• Members

However, Hogan has said in the past, when he worked on ATWT, that he didn't believe he could care about an older character's situation unless it affected someone younger (i.e., his/her children, or grandchildren); when, really, it's the other way around.

Archived