AMC: Do you think Hogan Sheffer would be a good fit for this show?

• Members

I don't think you can ever judge who will be a good fit until they get there and start writing. I've heard soo many times that so and so (*cough*Guza*cough*) would be a great writer for GH...he came back and I have never witnessed a soap die a slower death than GH.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Didn't Hogan say during Passanante's run at AMC how much he loved the writing? That comment alone is enough to frighten me. His first year or so at ATWT was a breath of fresh air, playing out Leah Laiman's dead-on-arrival stories while injecting life into them. He had Carolyn Culliton by his side. He also put CZP front and center. IMO the show started to fail when he began introducing his own stories and especially when Passanante joined the show. By the end of his run, the show was not in very good shape, not that it's in wonderful shape at the moment. I could see him being HW at AMC, with B&E as co-HWs (kind of like the successful Agnes Nixon and Washam and/or Broderick and/or McTavish structure the show had for many years). He did work with B&E on Days (where they were editors), so they're not exactly strangers. I may be in the minority on this, but I'd prefer Lynn Latham take over the reins at AMC. I'm not totally convinced that she's out at Y&R, but it is looking that way. She is an accomplished prime time writer, and although a lot of people didn't like her run at Y&R because she tried to reinivent the show (which was why she was brought on by TPTB the first place!), let's face it, a bad Y&R is tons better than a good AMC. Didn't she work with Carruthers on Port Charles?

• Members

Yes.

Once upon a time, I would've advocated LML joining AMC. She seems to enjoy humor; and I enjoyed alot of what she, and her husband, wrote for KNOTS LANDING and HOMEFRONT.

Now, though, I'm not so sure.

AMC needs a HW who knows how to write good, old-fashioned, kitchen-sink drama, laced with equal amounts of earthy humor and satire; not drop in plot twists from literally out of nowhere, play them for a hot minute, then drop them again with nary an explanation.

• Members

Unfortunately at this point in time I doubt we will ever see that for AMC again. Lynn Marie Latham coming aboard would just be another McTavish or B&E, nothing would get fixed.

And I disagree that a bad Y&R beat a good AMC...... Y&R in 2007 was no better than AMC or the rest of daytime. At points in 2007 there were at any given time at least 2 or 3 shows, creatively, that were way above Y&R. Y&R was a hot mess.

• Members

Even though I know Michele Val Jean is the heart of General Hospital's writing team (the woman is an exquisite script writer), I really wish she would jump over to AMC. I would love to see what she would do. I wholeheartedly believe a LOT of her talent -- way too much of it -- is being wasted penning scripts for a mob-heavy GH. But despite what we think of his work, Guza apparently inspires loyalty from his staff.

Even though I know this is probably not ever going to happen, considering she went probably went back to script writing for a reason, I would LOVE to have Michelle Patrick and Stephen Demorest write the show.

And last spring, I was ever so anxious to see what Kay Alden had in store -- but alas, that never came to be.

Archived